Trailer Hitch?

LUMINATOR

I've been thinking about making a trailer hitch. Has anyone had any luck making one? I don't feel like spending 200 bucks on one. When I can go to the scrapyard, get some metal and make one for a lot cheaper and stronger.

for your car? Dont tow too much.

I know around here if you want to rent a U-haul trailer, they inspect your shit to make sure its properly equipped to handle the load. A home made hitch wont be up to par.

I've been thinking about making a trailer hitch. Has anyone had any luck making one? I don't feel like spending 200 bucks on one. When I can go to the scrapyard, get some metal and make one for a lot cheaper and stronger.

I take it that you want fab a *receiver*?

It will take more than scrapyard steel to design and bend/cut/fold the tubing and the plate to get it to fit under the car, I agree with Andrew, save yourself the headache and go purchase one.

You can get a class 2 from U-haul for $150 plus whatever taxes, possibly less by another manufacturer (Reese, Curt, Algonquin, Draw Tite).

Don't forget to check the owner's manual for towing capacity.

The way I remember it, a 3.4 TDC has -zero- towing capacity; at least in '92/'93.

We had one on our 91 gp years ago. It really can't pull much and our transmission ended up going just pulling small boats and trailers.

However I plan on putting one on my GP to use as a tow hook location

I happen to have the owner's manual for my '95 handy...no exception is made for trailer towing for the DOHC, BUT...

The manual states the trailer should weigh no more than 1,000 pounds...

The manual ALSO states that no more than 167 pounds should be carried in the trunk...

With all the tools I carry on a regular basis, I violate this rule frequently. :lol:

Don't forget to check the owner's manual for towing capacity.

The way I remember it, a 3.4 TDC has -zero- towing capacity; at least in '92/'93.

• 2 weeks later...