Gentex 114 dimming mirror

mchill07

I got a nice gentex auto dimming mirror today. Its model 114 and has three leads. Black, L.Green and Pink/black. Anyone out there know how to hook one of these up or have a wiring diagram?

http://www.w-body.com/showthread.php/53701-Everything-you-ever-wanted-to-know-about-auto-dimming-rear-view-mirrors

Judging from the fact that black is always the ground, and green SHOULD almost always be the wire that disables the auto-dimming feature when the car is in reverse (not worth wiring in IMO), I can pretty much guarantee you the pink/black one is your +12v for the auto-dimming feature. It should be tapped into a wire or fuse that receives power with ignition or accessories on. Fun fact: If you can find one of those same mirrors from a Bonneville, the Off-Min-Max text lights up in orange. :D

• 4 weeks later...

Well... Today when I got in the car, The mirror didn't look right. There was a yellow line across the top and a blue line across the bottom. I guess It's gone...

You got it to work prior to that? I've never really heard of a Gentex mirror failing.

My Cadillac driver's side outer mirror looks horrible.

Long bubble looking things that have moved all around the mirror, gross yellow/orange tint too.

It comes on when we flip the switch on the interior rear view mirrow, combined with the switch for digital compus read out.

Anyone know how to fixs these things?

Thanks!

Long bubble looking things that have moved all around the mirror, gross yellow/orange tint too.

It comes on when we flip the switch on the interior rear view mirrow, combined with the switch for digital compus read out.

Thanks!

Likely needs a new mirror.

As Manic said, there's no fixing these mirrors once the electrochromic element goes bad. Just have to replace the glass/mirror. The side mirrors are the only Gentex I've seen fail. I don't know why. Maybe because they're exposed to the elements more. :shrug:

My problem went away. Was prolly something to do with how hot it was. My mirror has a slight gold tint to it. is from a 94' Eldorado

That's how all those early self-dimming Gentex mirrors were. It's normal. They didn't get to clear glass till the late '90s. Too bad you couldn't find one out of a '92 + Bonneville. The buttons light up orange on those. :mrgreen:

I've looked in multiple Bonneville's and so far they have only been standard mirrors. must have been a rare option, like SSEI only. The SSE I found was loaded except the mirror and hud.

I'm pretty sure it was standard in the SSEi. Not positive if it was an option or not on the SSE, but I'm thinking so because I doubt that I found all the ones I have from SSEis alone.

Wow, I didn't realize the morrors were so different, but could be use on my caddy. I'm going to look around up here for these models in the recycle yards.

There are many different variations, but the mounting brackets are usually universal. Once in a while, there will be a variant (usually on imports), but otherwise, they're mostly interchangeable as long as you have/are willing to do the wiring.