95 Vert Gauge Cluster Additions (More gauges?)

Timm

Hey guys, just tossing some ideas around today...

I'm so sick of having the a-pillar 3 gauge pod. I feel like a total ricer fag. :-/

I've looked into what other clusters would fit, but nothing else will. (Well, the same generation regals, GP's, and other cutlass' would. Possibly Lumina / MC?)

But either way, I'm stuck with the same 4 gauges...

There's some gauges that are "miniature" I guess you'd say... (1.5" instead of the usual 2")

http://www.equus.com/Product/6100/1-1_2''-Volt-Triple-Gauge-Kit#top

(Video for size-ability)

IMAG1435_zps5eb21065.jpg

IMAG1436_zpsc0e9842f.jpg

Or even something silly like this:

IMAG1437_zps157df1be.jpg

Just kicking some ideas around for now...

Yes I realize I'd have to re solder probably 30 connections on the board to work around the gauges sticking through the rear, but I can't find any other means to have nice analog gauges in the car and in view without looking 100% rice...

It's nothing I'm itching to do right away, but something I'd like to throw out there in case someone has already looked into this route and can offer some advice...

-Tim

Do you have HUD if so what about getting a 2nd gen HUD pod and modding it to fit

Edit ignore me I forgot 95s didn't get HUD

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

for reference:

95 grand am 3100

3393.08.jpg

97ish firebird(layout of ~95 is similar, just no digi odometer)

sK12KHc.jpg

i don't knon which one would more closely match the size/contours of a W cluster, but it probably looks better than guages placed over existing ones.

The Grand Am cluster looks much wider, less curvature along the top..I suspect it would be closer to the contour of a Cutlass..

Dude... I am now going to have to check that out! :willynilly:

I would also think a 95 camaro cluster would be possibility since it would not be red....

Too wide. I just sold 2 Z28 clusters if I had known.

for reference:

95 grand am 3100

3393.08.jpg

97ish firebird(layout of ~95 is similar, just no digi odometer)

sK12KHc.jpg

i don't knon which one would more closely match the size/contours of a W cluster, but it probably looks better than guages placed over existing ones.

I was seriously contemplating this.

if i had a later 1g with the "universal" cluster, i would too. hell, i might do some measuring on the 95MC cluster just to see if anything else is close to it.

I'd have been completely happy with the dash of the '95-up Cutlass, if they'd just simply offered the HUD.., or, that failing, a Driver Information System. I've seen pics of prototype dashes, where the HUD control on the '95 Cutlass was to have been installed next to the fog light/headlight panel on the left side of the steering column.

I'd have been completely happy with the dash of the '95-up Cutlass, if they'd just simply offered the HUD.., or, that failing, a Driver Information System. I've seen pics of prototype dashes, where the HUD control on the '95 Cutlass was to have been installed next to the fog light/headlight panel on the left side of the steering column.

Link to said prototype pics?

http://www.w-body.com/showthread.php/19855-Has-anyone-put-a-94-96-GP-Hud-into-a-95-Cutlass/page3

IIRC, the pics are in my 1995 Cutlass Owner's Manual...the pic shows the Cutlass headlight switch, foglight switch, and HUD switch...Grand Prix got a different panel, so I can only assume the pic is of a preproduction prototype.

Also, found an old thread showing the wiring harness already in place in someone's '95. I've not checked mine yet..

I believe all ECC equipped Cutlasses were prewired for HUD even in 1995, not sure about 1996-97.

Is that what these wires are for that I've been trying to figure out???

IMAG0630_zpsed599743.jpg

That's VERY interesting...is there any way to install a HUD in a '95-up Cutlass without making it a complete hack job?

I'd add one to mine yesterday, if the answer was yes..:lol:

the blue one is a hud plug

IMG_4233.jpg

That would actually be a great place to stick those mini gauges, right in the hole there...

IMG_4232.jpg

Does the DIC actually function? Any clue if it would work with an OBDII setup? Or better question I guess is, did any 96 GP's come with this?

IMG_4211.jpg

That's a nice and clean install (aside from the dirty interior lol)

Is the entire GP dash pretty much bolt on?

Any cutting required?

GP dash is a bolt in. You do need the metal substrate which is basically a pole running the width of the car under the dash. no cutting required. Do note I am using a 1.5 din radio.

The DIC is functional. If you have an OBD 2 car, you need the uber rare 96 only dic.

It is possible to use the CS wiring, but I did switch to the GP wiring and added the wire for brakes to the rear via turn signal switch.