ctracer

So. I haven't posted here in a while but i figure this is the place to go to for a question like this.

Do any of you have a 3.9 or know of a car that has an 3.9 LZ9 swapped first gen w body?

I think it would be an interesting and different swap.

Electronic nightmare. L67 seems like the perfect powerplant for any W-body considering the aftermarket support.

Electronic nightmare. L67 seems like the perfect powerplant for any W-body considering the aftermarket support.

Unless you want it to sound nice, yes.

You might find a couple people running around with a 3.5 liter LX9 swapped into a w-body, but most of the time people swap in L67s or LA1s. You might want to poke around http://www.60degreev6.com, those guys are nuts over there with swapping engines.

I think they sound pretty nice with the right resonator/ muffler combo. A little harsh maybe without interior sound insolation, but who wants silent power?

I think they sound pretty nice with the right resonator/ muffler combo. A little harsh maybe without interior sound insolation, but who wants silent power?

Oh God... 3800s sound like pure unadulterated asshole. You can get them to sound nice at idle but then as soon as you touch the gas BLAAAAAAAAAAT fat fart fart fart... no matter what exhaust you have :lol:.

Don't get me wrong. I really like the 3800. But the exhaust is certainly NOT one of the reasons :lol:

yeah the sound was one of the concerns. i hate the way that l67 sounds and then you got this supercharger that sounds like a noisy power steering pump :lol:

yes, electrical nightmare but it would be BADASS. i asked over on 60degree but i figured here has a much bigger community.

oooooh ;)

i notice the engines themselves really arent that expensive, at least around here.

the electronics would definitely be the hardest part. probably would have to use aftermarket gauges.

the electronics are the hardest issue. since it was installed in W-bodies, getting a LZ9 into a 1G W isn't bad at all, almost everything will bolt up without issue. at that point, it's controlling it where troubles can come up, especially if you use something other than the factory PCM(though that will need to have workarounds in the calibration as well).

much of the same can be said about the 3.6 that got installed in the 2012 and 2013 impalas, though that requires even more electrical trickery including the stuff needed to run a spark ignition direct injection gas engine.

the electronics are the hardest issue. since it was installed in W-bodies, getting a LZ9 into a 1G W isn't bad at all, almost everything will bolt up without issue. at that point, it's controlling it where troubles can come up, especially if you use something other than the factory PCM(though that will need to have workarounds in the calibration as well).

much of the same can be said about the 3.6 that got installed in the 2012 and 2013 impalas, though that requires even more electrical trickery including the stuff needed to run a spark ignition direct injection gas engine.

Are you going the stand-alone PCM route or a GM one? Sounds like you need a "build-thread" on this.

LOTS of custom code on a 16149396 PCM(that will also have some internal modifications). i can control the VVT in open loop already, but i want to be able to track the cam sensor for closed loop tracking/control of the actuator.