Airflow problems

darkwolf45

Good morning,

With spring bound to be around the corner at some time here in MN, it's time to prep the Cutlass to come back outside after an entire winter off.

I'm looking for some advice on a long standing issue in my Cutlass. When running either heat or air conditioning, air only flows out through the defroster vent and down towards the floor regardless of which airflow setting I choose. This isn't really a problem at the moment, but come summer I would really prefer to have cool air blowing at me, rather than away as the way this this currently working, not a lot of cool air makes it's way back to me or the back seats.

I had heard someone once say that it was likely a disconnected hose, but I am at a bit of a loss of where EXACTLY to look. I would also like to hear any thoughts regarding a jam that may be causing the climate control system's inability to switch from one airflow mode to another. The reason I ask is because I can hear a buzzing noise from the fan that almost sounds like the fan blades could be hitting something back there. If possible, I would really like to avoid taking apart the entire dash..

The car in question is a '95 cutlass, 2 door with an analog climate control console (not the newer digital dual climate system).

IIRC, the hoses that seem most commonly to cause the problem you describe are in the area of the battery, on the driver's side of the car. Not a fun area to work in, but way easier than tearing into the dash.

Good morning,

With spring bound to be around the corner at some time here in MN, it's time to prep the Cutlass to come back outside after an entire winter off.

I'm looking for some advice on a long standing issue in my Cutlass. When running either heat or air conditioning, air only flows out through the defroster vent and down towards the floor regardless of which airflow setting I choose. This isn't really a problem at the moment, but come summer I would really prefer to have cool air blowing at me, rather than away as the way this this currently working, not a lot of cool air makes it's way back to me or the back seats.

I had heard someone once say that it was likely a disconnected hose, but I am at a bit of a loss of where EXACTLY to look. I would also like to hear any thoughts regarding a jam that may be causing the climate control system's inability to switch from one airflow mode to another. The reason I ask is because I can hear a buzzing noise from the fan that almost sounds like the fan blades could be hitting something back there. If possible, I would really like to avoid taking apart the entire dash..

The car in question is a '95 cutlass, 2 door with an analog climate control console (not the newer digital dual climate system).

I'm going from memory here, but best I recall, there's a vacuum "ball" on the left side of the car, below the battery. This "stores" vacuum to use for the vents. There are small hoses leading from this ball to your vents, along with a small check valve..those small hoses run next to the windshield washer hose, where it exits the washer bottle . Usually, one of them is disconnected, or broken. While this isn't the ONLY place you might have a problem, it's the easiest, to check, and most commonly where you'll find a problem.

I think I may know what you are talking about. It's actually inside the fender, placed in an uncomfortable spot near the horn that you have to get to from underneath car and just behind the bumper?

Yes. That's where the vacuum reservoir is located, however, just about ANY vacuum line leak can cause the problem you are experiencing, so try to look over all vacuum likes and make sure they're all hooked up/not broken/ etc

Easier said than done since unlike you I'm not 100% clear on what I am looking for. However, I'm hopeful this may be the issue. I have been under there a couple times and been curious about this part because it didn't seem to be connected to anything, and my girlfriend commented on it as well when I had the fender off while rebuilding it. Here's hoping..

Did a quick look under the hood of my '95 LQ1...there's a small hose that comes off of the plenum, close to the EGR and IAC, which snakes around the master cylinder, connects to a check valve, then connects to a larger hose that disappears underneath the washer bottle. Best I recall, this is the hose that routes to the ball...hope that helps.

Did a quick look under the hood of my '95 LQ1...there's a small hose that comes off of the plenum, close to the EGR and IAC, which snakes around the master cylinder, connects to a check valve, then connects to a larger hose that disappears underneath the washer bottle. Best I recall, this is the hose that routes to the ball...hope that helps.

Very similar on '92/'93.

I have had multiple problems with that hose. The plastic tubing gets brittle and shatters. Can be spliced with ordinary rubber hose.

The plastic tubing wore-through under the battery--it was rubbing on some sheetmetal. Leaked bad enough that the cruise control would operate, but slowly lose speed on inclines and then disengage by itself. Again, cut the tubing at the wear-point, splice with rubber hose.

The plastic reservoir may have a broken nipple, they're fixable (if you get lucky!) by epoxying a piece of 3/16 steel brake tubing where the nipple used to be. Drill the plastic ball where the nipple was, if needed, to get the steel tubing to slip inside.

• 2 months later...

I completely forgot about this thread, and meant to come back and thank for the help. Galaxy, you were completely correct. All I had to do was replace the hose and plug it in and my air was working correctly again. It's great having that frosty air conditioning blowing directly at me in the heat we have been having lately!

Right now, my Cutlass is in the body shop having the trim painted/refreshened and the front windshield replaced. Once it comes back, it should look like it just came off the showroom floor!