Question about HIR1 9011 retrofit into miniquad H4352 sealed-beams

crazyd

I did the HIR2 9012 upgrade on my H4351's already, and now I'm tackling the hibeams. I've gotten the HIR1 9011 bulbs and am attempting to install them, but the diameter of the base is smaller than the 9012. I had planned to install it into H4351 housings, and install as a unit, but it was too small. Before I rip my hibeam housings apart, is the base aperture in the H4352 housing smaller to accommodate it, or are they the same between the H4351 & H4352 housing?

• 3 weeks later...

The biggest problem is that I haven't been able to get the bulb out of the hi-beam H4352 housings, but it comes out of the H4351 lo-beam housings pretty easily. Using info I found here they say to double up your O-rings to make this work, but I couldn't get that to work for mine so I found a 17.8mm x 2.5mm O-ring from an HNBR A/C assortment that did, and replaced the 9011 base ring with it and it fits perfectly.

If I recall correctly, the diameter of the hole of the sealed beam should be the same in both H4352 and H4351. The diameter is the same size as the 9006 and 9005 bulbs.

Although, what I did when I did my HID's on my Cutlass was to use duct tape so they wouldn't come out (since I couldn't use the sealed beam trim) so if the HIR won't fit the sealed beam, that's one option.

Also, the high beam bulbs should be as easy as the low beam. Get pliers and twist them then use a flathead screwdriver to pop them up until the trim lets go of the sealed beam housing.

The H4351/4352 housings turned out to be the same, but the O-rings used on the 9012 are different from the 9011. I broke three H4352 high-beams trying to remove the bulb assembly from the housings when I tried experimenting on junkyard Camaros before I gave up. Didn't really matter because the glass was nicer on the low-beam H4351 housings in the yard, since people replace them more frequently. Nobody ever seems to need to replace their high-beams, so maybe the high-beam bulbs are stubborn because they're original...

Truthfully, I've noticed the etching on the glass is the same. You could in theory just get low beam sealed beams at the yard and pop the 9011 bulbs in there. They don't seem to be that distinct.

What you should do is get the o rings from a 9005/9006 bulb at the yard and put it on your HIR bulbs. I know for a fact the o rings on those lights are an exact fit.

BTW, the trick to popping them out is grabbing pliers, twist where the bulb connects to the harness until you're able to turn it in circles, then get a small flat head under the lil trim thing that goes around the bulb. Push it up and you should be able to get it out. That's how I did mine.

That's exactly what I did to try to remove them, but it only worked on the H4351 low-beams. The high-beams were so solidly glued in their housings that it broke the base on all four that I tried before giving up. I also found a better-fitting O-ring in a box at the autoparts store, a "#115" of 3/32" thickness that worked better than the metric HNBR ring, for $0.59.