Unusual Coolant Leak

Spidey

I apologize for creating another coolant-related thread on here, but I cannot find any answers to my specific problem.

What I've done so far:

New head gasket

New upper and lower intake gaskets

New water pump

New timing cover

Good radiator and hoses

Clean coolant--no signs of stop leak or Steel Seal.

It leaks in a continuous stream after I park the car, like from a bathroom faucet on its lowest, non-dripping, setting.

It leaks from behind the engine from some origin that I cannot see--below the coils.

The radiator isn't empty, but the heat doesn't work.

If I use my funnel to bleed the air out, I can get intermittent heat for a few days.

The exhaust is perfect and the interior does not smell of antifreeze, so I think the heater core is fine.

I bought the car from a mechanic who replaced all the gaskets after the proverbial teenage girl drove the car overheated until it died.

All of this work was done 6 months ago, and everything was fine when I got it in January.

This problem has been going on since February.

Is it possible that the block cracked from the overheating and I'm just seeing it now?

I'm no expert with these motors, so I turn my problem over to you guys. Thanks!

I don't know if all year cars have this, but there is a metal heater pipe that runs close to the bottom of the bottom of the passenger side frame rail that can corrode and leak. I'm thinking it should be fairly close to the alternator. OEM replacement is not too expensive and is the route I went since it lasted over 15yrs on mine, but some people replace it with a long rubber heater hose.

You should be able to run your fingers along the pipe and see if your fingers get wet.

I don't know if all year cars have this, but there is a metal heater pipe that runs close to the bottom of the bottom of the passenger side frame rail that can corrode and leak. I'm thinking it should be fairly close to the alternator. OEM replacement is not too expensive and is the route I went since it lasted over 15yrs on mine, but some people replace it with a long rubber heater hose.

This really sounds like a possibility. It started leaking slowly, and now I can't keep any antifreeze in it.

How I wish I had the 3800. I don't know why they didn't put the 3.8s in the Grand Prixs. I mean, they had them in the w-body Regals. Anyway, I found out that my timing cover was NOT replaced by the mechanic who owned it before me. I've located the leak to be coming from somewhere right below the tension pulley. It seems to be creeping from behind the timing cover. Everything seems dry above that, so I don't think anything is creeping down. Do those covers usually leak that fast from the back side of the engine? How much work is it to replace it?

Sounds like your timing cover gasket is in need of replacing. Though typically oil is behing the Timing Cover there are coolant passages that are rumored to exist there. I have the same issue only less that you are talking about. Im waiting for a few more gaskets on payday and i`ll be going down to the cylinder heads for shits and giggles and will be replacing all gaskets. I do know that mentioned in one of my threads on the issue that even though the Hanyes manual says you have to pull he oil pan, members I trust on this site said he did it without messing with it.

Job seems pretty simple if you have a pulley puller and dont have to remove the oil pan, plus you`ve got a chance to drain and flush your coolant really good out of the block itself and get at other issues that would be easier or less messy, Fingers crossed for both of us that its just a bad hose:thumbsup:

What I really need is an impact wrench. Unfortunately, my weekends are all booked up 'till May. I put some black pepper in the radiator last night and it stopped the leak completely, and the engine temperature and heat worked perfectly. Hopefully it holds up well enough until I get a chance to fix it.