HUD

KAlsteen

I'm going to the junkyard this weekend and I'm hoping to find HUD to add to my car. I was wondering which years would be compatible with my car. Also, do I need to replace the entire dash pad or is it really 2 pieces as it looks like it is? If so how do the 2 pieces come apart?

I see you have a 95 Grand Prix. If you want a HUD that is plug and play (assuming your car is pre-wired) I think it will be being a 95 coupe and if you have ABS brakes. You will want a HUD from a 94-96 Grand Prix.

Should be pretty straight forward to remove the dash pad and HUD. You will also need the mounting bracket and the HUD adjuster. Which on a 94-96 Grand prix is on the headlight switches. You will need the dash pad as it as a hole cut into it for the HUD.

Fail Nate. Some of your info is for a 91-94 CS HUD.

there are three things if your car is pre-wired:

HUD pad, you can pull up on it anywhere and it pops out. test try extracting a regular pad in a junk car if you have any doubt.

HUD unit two 7mm bolts, the electrical connector, and out it comes.

headlight switch/HUD control. snap bezel out and out it comes.

other options: a 97-03 HUD also has radio display info, and is the same case, but different pinouts. You can rewire your connector very easily for that, and then all you must do is run the last wire from the radio to HUD to get the data.

Fail Nate. Some of your info is for a 91-94 CS HUD.

there are three things if your car is pre-wired:

HUD pad, you can pull up on it anywhere and it pops out. test try extracting a regular pad in a junk car if you have any doubt.

HUD unit two 7mm bolts, the electrical connector, and out it comes.

headlight switch/HUD control. snap bezel out and out it comes.

other options: a 97-03 HUD also has radio display info, and is the same case, but different pinouts. You can rewire your connector very easily for that, and then all you must do is run the last wire from the radio to HUD to get the data.

Would a CS pre wired without a unit have special pad by any chance? Or is it the ones with the dual climate control an indicator of being pre-wired, and is there a way to test a unit already removed from a car? Got one from a `99 or `03 GTP and i want to know it works before I sell it or trade it to someone on here (if any one is interested thats is)

Would a CS pre wired without a unit have special pad by any chance? Or is it the ones with the dual climate control an indicator of being pre-wired, and is there a way to test a unit already removed from a car? Got one from a `99 or `03 GTP and i want to know it works before I sell it or trade it to someone on here (if any one is interested thats is)

All HUD equipped cars have a special pad. Seeing you have a 94, you would have the same dash pad that you currently have, except there's a cut out located at the equivalent to the middle of your speedo and RPM gauge on the cluster where the HUD mounts to (on top of the dash of course).

Since it's not a CS HUD, it may be a bit harder to mount it since you have to consider the fact that the designs may have been different. I've never seen the 2nd gen W/GP HUD but be prepared to rewire the clip for HUD should it not be plug and play. But that's exactly how you test it, take the dash out of your CS, and put the clip in and see what happens. You will also need the controls for it plugged in for it to turn on.

But to finish off, this is the dash that you want... minus the defects of it.

DSC_0093.jpg

FYI I fixed that warped dash.

I was asking if a CS that is pre-wired but does not have HUD equipped have the cutout but sealed up. Mine does not have a HUD currently, Im not going to attempt to install the one from the GTP as it requires to much custom wiring. I know what the CS pad w/ HUD looks like. And in the GTP its somewhat flush with its pad.

To clarify. What indicators are there that a Cutlass is pre-wired for HUD but doesnt have a unit installed?

Is there a way to test a unit(that would be the one from the GTP) to see if its functional and if so how?

I was asking if a CS that is pre-wired but does not have HUD equipped have the cutout but sealed up. Mine does not have a HUD currently, Im not going to attempt to install the one from the GTP as it requires to much custom wiring. I know what the CS pad w/ HUD looks like. And in the GTP its somewhat flush with its pad.

To clarify. What indicators are there that a Cutlass is pre-wired for HUD but doesnt have a unit installed?

Is there a way to test a unit(that would be the one from the GTP) to see if its functional and if so how?

Oh, I'm sorry, I misunderstood. The answer is no, and I know because that was my first thought to fix the warped dash in the pic I posted. If the car has the wiring, but not the HUD itself, then you have to get the HUD specific dash. There's no "cut here" template like the door panels on coupes without speakers have. Although I can always be wrong, and it may actually say "cut here" under the dash. If you want to get a HUD installed in your car, you gotta get the right dash, or cut yours up.

As far as the GTP, if you don't want to rewire your car for that specific HUD, your next best choice would be to bench test it. You would need part of the wiring that clips to the HUD from the donor car. You would then need a diagram that tells you what each specific wire does. Should you acomplish this, you would be able to turn on the HUD, but you wouldn't know if all the stuff works.

Not a problem, 94-96 are sort of iffy years when it comes to these things. I might know someone still at ITT Tech that could bench test it for me. Cutting a hole wont be a problem and Ive got cracks forming at that vent anywys and can hit two birds with one stone.:thumbsup: Now all i need to do is find one with the electric climate control and snip the connectors out with a length of wire with them. Thanks guys.