2000 to 2001 grand prix GTP, differences?

stew

I know they changed the steering wheel and added onstar between these years, was anything else done to improve quality of the interior or anything? just curious.

Climate controls were a bit different and there were some changes with how some of the things were wired (97+ were typically pre wired for the upgraded DIC.) other than that there really weren't any changes.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Performance shift and digital/auto dual climate control were no longer options (manual dual climate control only). Other than that, and the updated steering wheel/radio controls, nothing really changed.

Edited by RareGMFan

I was waiting for D to respond :lol: Outside of what people have mentioned, the snowflake wheels and a couple different colors were added in 01 as well.

Also...compass and temperature mirrors were added as well right? Since the digital climate control was gone there was no spot for the outside temperature display.

Also...compass and temperature mirrors were added as well right? Since the digital climate control was gone there was no spot for the outside temperature display.

Huumm...I don't remember what mirror my '01 had. Let me see if I can find some pics...

Edit: Nope. No pics of the mirror in my '01.

Edited by runt
More Words.

The autodim mirror in my dad's mid-level equipped '03 GT displays compass and temperature. I had the move it the other day and that was the first time I noticed that below a certain temperature the display switches back and forth from ICE to the temperature reading.

My '99 GTP that is fully equipped with just about every option has a Donnelly autodim mirror with no temperature or compass.

Truthfully, it should have NEVER been an option. Driving these cars without performance shift enabled is HELL on the transmission and causes excessive wear, especially in spirited driving. Even if you are driving normally you should keep performance shift on, it will shift a little harder and is a little bit hard on the fuel economy as well, but it is actually easier on the transmission. I think in the later cars they fixed the factory shift points to somewhere in between the former regular shift and performance shift to decrease wear on the transmission, which as we all know is the weakest point in these cars/

...the transmission, which as we all know is the weakest point in these cars/

Ain't that the truth! "Spirited" driving without perf shift on was how I always drove. I'm sure that's what lead to it eating its own gears at 135k miles.

I never used it because I thought the harder shifts were harder on the tranny overall. I trust your experience and will keep that in mind if my next one is '00 as well.

I figured that was covered by Stew mentioning the addition of OnStar, but I guess I should clarify. OnStar was standard on GTPs (available on the other trims), and all OnStar mirrors automatically came with self-dimming, compass and temp. It's the only way the mirrors were made, so if it has OnStar, it has those other features as well.

I figured that was covered by Stew mentioning the addition of OnStar, but I guess I should clarify. OnStar was standard on GTPs (available on the other trims), and all OnStar mirrors automatically came with self-dimming, compass and temp. It's the only way the mirrors were made, so if it has OnStar, it has those other features as well.

OnStar was added in 2001? I ask because my fully loaded '99 GTP does NOT have OnStar.

Yes, '01 was the first year. I know because I had to change a couple '00 GTPs from failed Donnelly mirrors to Gentex auto-dim/compass ones.

I know because I had to change a couple '00 GTPs from failed Donnelly mirrors to Gentex auto-dim/compass ones.

Speaking of which :naughty: I still have to get down to you for a replacement for my leaky MF'er.

I never knew about the perf. shift. I never use it, but never really drive that "spirited." I turned it on for about a week, and when I turned it off again my trans shifted like asshole for the next week ha.

Speaking of which :naughty: I still have to get down to you for a replacement for my leaky MF'er.

I never knew about the perf. shift. I never use it, but never really drive that "spirited." I turned it on for about a week, and when I turned it off again my trans shifted like asshole for the next week ha.

...I'm a minute down the road from your workplace, Matthew! Just say when. BTW, the crisper, quicker performance shift is easier on your trans than the default granny soft/sliding shifts. If I had the option, my car would pretty much be in performance shift mode all the time.

I was under the impression that "performance shift" is built into most trans tunes. DHP, etc.

It is. Most basic 1.0 tunes for any brand allow a 3-1 and 4-2 shift, raise shift points and increase line pressure. In the beginning, they were still tuned to only come on with performance shift (thus why shift knobs with the performance shift button used to be worth a few bucks), but as time progressed, they all were basically tuned the same way full time instead of needing to be "activated" through the button. I got mine purposely programmed to be activated by the button because I'm weird that way. Like to have all the best that was offered in any car I buy, regardless of year. My plan was to eventually get a custom tune were performance shift off = tuned for the best gas mileage possible while turning it on = best performance possible without KR.

I work till 8 M-Th, so those days are pretty much out. I get out of work around 3 or so on Fridays (depending how quickly I can get everything organized for the next week before I leave), so after work Fridays is always a possibility. Otherwise, I'm off on the weekends.