Seatback latches

Nas Escobar

I was wondering, is it just me, or is it really common for the seat back latches to fail on GM cars? Every GM coupe pre 1999 that I've test driven has this issue where the latch doesn't work and the seat can be moved back and forth without moving the lever. I personally don't mind it, but it's annoying for the seat to come forward when you brake hard.

Anyways, does anyone else have this issue, and managed to fix it?

If so, how can it be fixed?

Nas;

Others can correct this if it's wrong, but I'm about 99% sure...there's nothing wrong with the seat latches. They're supposed to be unlocked, unless the car is going through extreme decelleration, or is parked at an extreme angle...sort of like how the seat belts work. The lever is only there in case you need to override the latch, in normal circumstances, the seat should be unlocked.

Ohh ok, so it was just me then. I thought those latches were supposed to lock the back portion of the seat onto the bottom portion of it. I had a Grand Am coupe that locked itself into position and whenever someone wanted to get in the car, I had to push the lever up.

I test drove a 76 Nova that did teh same exact thing as my 94. I always thought the latch was broken.

Yep, Galaxie is correct. It explains this in the manual if you ever read it (yeah, I am probably the only person who has ever read it).

I have to wonder how well they work, though. I've never had mine actually lock. I've had the seatbelt lock on really hard braking and could feel the seatback fly forward and push me harder into the seatbelt. I've never experienced the seatbacks actually lock on of my W-body coupes.

Yep, Galaxie is correct. It explains this in the manual if you ever read it (yeah, I am probably the only person who has ever read it).

I have to wonder how well they work, though. I've never had mine actually lock. I've had the seatbelt lock on really hard braking and could feel the seatback fly forward and push me harder into the seatbelt. I've never experienced the seatbacks actually lock on of my W-body coupes.

I would read it too, if mine came with it. >:(

I seriously doubt they work. I've braked really hard before in the CSV and the seat pushed me forward to the steering wheel. It was not a fun thing to have happen.

I think the car needs body weight to actually lock the seat.

If body weight worked, the seat wouldn't push you forward while you're sitting in it though.

It's crossed my mind before to see if it could be converted to manual release. Seems like that'd be safer than pushing you forward. Never really cared enough to really look into it though.

I was wondering, is it just me, or is it really common for the seat back latches to fail on GM cars? Every GM coupe pre 1999 that I've test driven has this issue where the latch doesn't work and the car accessories seat can be moved back and forth without moving the lever. I personally don't mind it, but it's annoying for the seat to come forward when you brake hard.

Anyways, does anyone else have this issue, and managed to fix it?

If so, how can it be fixed?

it is an annoying problem but I am never faced it. SO i am bit lucky

Edited by Thomasbaker