normal temp

KAlsteen

what you see on the guage isn't always reality.... those senders weren't always very accurate.

if you grab actual data from the PCM, around 195 is normal.

Mine is reading at slightly above 100 and my heat isn't very hot. It's warm enough to defrost the windows but my previous car (1999 Grand Am) I would have the heat on for about a half hour on high and then have to turn it down because it got too warm blasting on me. That doesn't happen with my GP.

How can I get the actual temp from the PCM? (Sorry if that is a dumb question)

probably just a worn out thermostat then, it happens. costs a whole ~$5 to replace too. you'll probably make that back within your second or third full tank of fuel too, since fuel economy will drop at lower coolant temps.

getting the temp from the PCM would require a scanner capable of reading the car's datastream or with an ALDL cable.

The thermostats are designed to stay open when they fail...makes perfect sense.

A thermostat is just as likely to stick shut as to stick open. It can fail either way.

Don't be misled by the advertising for a certain specialty thermostat that has a locking mechanism--if the vehicle overheats due to a problem OTHER than a defective thermostat, the thermostat locks open. This useless bit of engineering is sold under the "Failsafe" brand name.