Door Sag

j_mezz

I noticed that when I close my drivers door it inches up as it latches, on closer examination I can see that it's riding on the latch bolt that's bolted onto the body in the door jamb (it's worn a flat spot on the top of it). I didn't find any threads on this when I searched, what's the best way to deal with this? Is there a 'smart' way to adjust the door fitment or is it just trial and error? Also, is there a symptom of needing to replace the hinges or is it more like...if they haven't fallen off then they're probably still good?

This is on my 88 cutlass...

Any way you can get a pic? I cannot picture in my head ATM what everything looks like and my CS is a few minutes walk away in storage. If you just need to adjust something for once that useless scissor jack will work to support the door at the height you need.

Auto parts stores have replacement bronze bushings for the doors. They wear down, and the doors sag. The kits are less than $10.00 apiece. You have to drive the hinge pin out, replace the bushing, then drive the pins back. Best done with at least one, preferably two friends to help wrestle with the weight of the doors...they are rather heavy.

I don;t think replacement bushings exist for W bodies. A bodies yes, w-bodies no. If one does exist, find us a part number!

But I have a "how to" guide, but i'll have to elaborate more when i have more time.

check the current hinges. with the door open slightly, half way, all the way, try to lift the door. if the door actually has play, you need a fresh set of hinges. if there is no play and you have sage, and not wear, the hinges can best be accessed through the wheel well. this requires removal of the tire, removal of the wheel well liner, and suitable stabilization with a jack stand. If fact, once you have the liner off, you want the car level, so put the tire back on, but have the wheel turned hard left or right, which ever is easiest for you to reach the hinges.

Make sure you figure out which way the hinge needs adjusted, does the top one need to more forward, does bottom one need to move rearward? open the door so it is just barely open and bring your jack under the door edge with a rag/cardboard to cushion the bottom of the door. Raise the jack to create a little tension, but not too much so no door damage occurs. release the hinge bolts just a bit. jack door up to be maybe 1/16th-1/8th of an inch higher* than would look straight. retighten, and check fitment. repeat as necessary.

*seems about right for it to look straight once jack is released, your results may vary.

Edited by Crazy K

Excellent info, thanks Ken! I had been contemplating the adjustments from the door bolts, really hadn't thought about tweaking the 'hidden' ones. The divers side wheel well panel was already off so I got a good look at them. I think the hinges are ok, didn't feel much play when I tried lifting the door. Did get a couple of pics from the wheel well...

Top hinge

picture10.jpg

Bottom hinge

picture9.jpg

There was a TSB on this, where the solution was to install newer style hinges. The newer style are a bit beefier. However, adjusting the existing ones would be the easier way to go. You can tell if they are worn by seeing if you can lift up on the door when it's open.

I had a helluva time adjusting them, but I put in new hinges so I had to adjust both height and depth. If I had to do that again, I'd probably pick up a door jack. Those doors are really heavy.

I think 88 and 89. It may have been TSB #89T174. I'd look it up, but GM ESI seems to have croaked on both computers I installed it on. I can't even seem to find my install images. Maybe someone else has a working copy of ESI?