Fuel gage moves eratically while driving. 95' GP

mchill07

While driving around usually under a full tank, the fuel gauge needle moves all over the the place but is accurate for the most part.

It is really annoying. Sometimes I will go from 1/2 down to 1/4 then all the way up to 3/4 before settling back around 1/2 tank. happens during stops starts turns and curves.

Is this a sign of something to come, or just the way it is?

While driving around usually under a full tank, the fuel gauge needle moves all over the the place but is accurate for the most part.

It is really annoying. Sometimes I will go from 1/2 down to 1/4 then all the way up to 3/4 before settling back around 1/2 tank. happens during stops starts turns and curves.

Is this a sign of something to come, or just the way it is?

1. Missing/broken baffle in gas tank?

2. I am reasonably sure that as part of the circuit board--at least on some older vehicles--there's an electric "damping" mechanism on the gas gauge that slows the needle response. I'd have to look up how it was supposed to work--I've never dicked with it. Might be worth looking through the service manual, and if there's some kind of damper, pull the cluster and look for broken circuit traces or defective solder joints.

i've seen VERY few late 1st gen and all 1.5 gens with a smooth fuel guage at anything other than almost full or almost empty...

the tank on the MC was replaced in ~2005(rusted through at the pinch/weld seams) and i remember it still being wonky even right after it was done.

i'm fairly certain it is the dampening circuit, on the earlier clusters it's just a simple resistor/capacitor combo and works quite well. when i did pull the cluster out of the MC the last time, i remember seeing a similar arrangement, but for some reason i didn't attempt to correct it? the capacitor used is an electrolytic unit, 470uF, 25V ratings IIRC. if i had to guess, i'd say it's worn out. then again, maybe i have an isolated case.... this cluster is all kinds of intermittent when ambient temps get to ~80*F or so.

I removed the instrument cluster, which was difficult to maneuver out, and the only resistors and capacitors I saw were soldered on the PC board. not sure if im gonna pursue the matter further as the gauge is working.

Def. a common issue. Both my '95 GP and '96 MC did this. Fuel gauges were all over the place on turns.

Oddly enough, my '91 Regal never did it. With either the analog cluster or the digital cluster I swapped in.

My Caprice did is too, but not as bad as the W-body cars did. So who knows.

My 89' cs and both of my 93's moved a lot less, really only noticeable on xway ramps. This 95' GP is all over the place, my guess is that there was a change in the components that they used in making the instrument clusters. It's just something I noticed with my newer w-body.