Nas Escobar

Well I have 2 questions about the HUD in my 94 Cutlass.

#1 and the most important. MY HUD doesn't work. I can see it WANTS to work sometimes at night, but for the most part it's dead. Usually at night, I'll see an aqua/green block on my windshield but it never displays a number. Where should I start diagnosing?

#2. My dashpad is torn up to hell. I want to swap it, but no dash at the JY currently has it. Can the HUD be "retrofitted" by drilling holes in the new dash to secure the HUD into place?

I wonder if it needs to be resoldered. I forgot which pins need to be done, but I did mine a while back and it worked a lot better. When I have time later today I'll try searching for that info.

My search ended in dead links, but I have some pictures. I bet if you resolder those two joints on the photoelectric cell, it will work again. I didn't have much soldering experience

when I first started out, but this is a pretty easy thing to do.

How to fix the HUD dimming problem.

1. Remove HUD from car.

2. Remove 4 Torix screws from top of HUD

3. Remove ribbon cable and small 2-wire cable from circuit board.

4. Remove circuit board.

5. On the board there is a small photocell, the problem is that the cell has a cold solder joint. The cell is a 1/3-inch

Circle with a black square in the center. All you need to do is resolder the two legs.

6. Put everything back.

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

Yayyyy more solddering! lol

I already had to solder LED strips for some mods on my Grand Am. It's not as hard as some make it seem, but then again I've been dealing with electronics since I was 16.

Out of curiosity, the HUD is bolted on to the dash from where the speedo is right?

To remove the HUD remove the bezel around the cluster. There is a couple of bolts right there above the cluster on the mounting bracket for the HUD. The HUD comes out from the top of the dash after that.

Since it's just a green block I'm wondering if the actual display unit needs some retouching.

I had to cut into my dash as well. Basically you would be getting a junk yard dash, using some measurements for the placement and size of the hole and start cutting!

Hmmmm, my 94 Cutlass HUD didn't have a photocell. I thought only gen 2 HUDs had that?

When I couldn't see my HUD, it's because the height cable was all stretched out or something. It couldn't move the mirror to position it on the windshield. I used a piece of tape to hold the spring-loaded height lever on the HUD unit itself in a slightly different position so that it would fit into a different location on the height adjuster thing on the bracket. That allowed the height control to move it into viewing range.