Center parting wiper issue

mchill07

Is there a sticky or faq someone could direct me to about these wipers?

They jump and chatter really bad. My 95' GP is the 4th w body i have owned and they have all

been this way. I would like to get this fixed.

Is there a sticky or faq someone could direct me to about these wipers?

They jump and chatter really bad. My 95' GP is the 4th w body i have owned and they have all

been this way. I would like to get this fixed.

In approximate order:

1. Wiper blades suck. They're all made in Goddam Communist China, from sh!tty material. Most wiper blades don't last one full year, the really bad ones don't go three months. START by changing the blades/refills. I'm buying the "Teflon"-coated blades/refills from NAPA. No doubt they're available elsewhere. They are not the cheapest on the rack, and they are NOT ALL THAT GOOD. But they're better than everything else I've tried. In other words, they're the best of a bad situation.

2. Wiper arms get bent, don't hold the blade at a 90 degree angle to the windshield. Blade doesn't flip over at the end of the stroke, chatters like mad. The blade MUST flip at the end of each stroke. The rubber wiping edge that actually touches the glass has to be PULLED, not PUSHED by the wiper arm. Best way to check: Turn on ignition, turn on wipers, When wiper is half-way "up" the glass, turn the key off. Get out and look at the rubber--is it being pushed or pulled? Turn the key on, when the wiper cycles all the way up and is returning "down", shut off the key. Is the rubber being pushed or pulled?

3. Contamination build-up on the windshield. All sorts of oil/tar/dirt/garf/garfelderfarb falls out of the sky onto the windshield, creates layers of crap that the blades aren't happy about sliding over. A proper windshield cleaning goes a long way. Once upon a time, I'm reasonably certain GM recommended Bon Ami to polish the glass. Verify before use.

4. Sunrise or sunset--park the car facing the sun. Look out through the windshield. Do you see a billion little pits in the glass? NOTHING will make the wipers work properly if the glass is pitted. NOTHING. You are wasting time, money, effort, and enthusiasm trying to get the wipers to work "like new" if the glass surface is pocked. Replace the windshield, and DO NOT ACCEPT CHINESE GLASS, or you'll have to replace it AGAIN in about six months. Chinese glass is every bit as terrible as Chinese wiper blades, and it lasts about as long.

Edited by Schurkey

Will Definitely take this in to advisement. I was not sure if perhaps due to age that a rubber grommit or something to that effect was worn out in the drivetrain

of the wiper mech, causing the whole operation to run a muck!

I've done the Bon Ami thing before...it does work...but...two things. Use a soft cloth, and light pressure on the glass use a circular motion, just like you would for waxing the paint...then clean the glass again with a good glass cleaner, after rinsing away everything...and throw away the wipers that were on the car when you did the cleaning. After everything is clean, put new blades on the car.