95" Grand Prix OBD 1.5?????

mchill07

The check engine light comes on after about 10-20 min of driving (it's always off when you start or restart the car). I have the obd 1 12 pin connector with different pins than my 93" cutlass sup. which by the way I can jump out and have the light flash the code. I cant do this in the 95" grand prix. The car was built in july of 1995. After some reading I've come to the assumption the the car is OBD 1.5 Do I search for the scan tool and adapter or take it to a garage? This is aggravating!!!

You will need to get a scanner eventually, so save money being thrown at the Stealerships. I have heard that a Actron CP9145 with the correct cable for your OBD 1.5 will work, and erase codes. I have not priced one of these, I just learned not to by anything during the "hybrid" years.

the 93-95 3100 cars are fully OBD1. the OBD1.5 moniker comes from the fact that they use flash ROM to calibrate them. if you want to use that as being worthy of being "1.5", then the 1990 geo storm is also "1.5" since it also uses flash ROM.

real ALDL scanners and ALDL cables work, some better than others. if you have a laptop that runs windows XP SP3 or later, i reccomend an ALDL cable + tunerpro RT V5. i used the 95MC as a development vehicle to get the calibration and datastream stuff worked out. if you want an example of the stuff you can play with, let me know.

Found a garage who scanned the codes, I do have obd1, but has to have a scanner, it cant be jummped out to flash the light . All three of my egr solenoids are not responding, so if cleaning it doesnt help, guess its gotta be replaced!

Don't assume... even a 50% blocked passage can set that code. OBD2 might be more picky though.

Having done the job myself, it can take some time. But carbon doesn't stick forever, enough carb clean and it'll come out. The key is to be patient and let it soak.

I think I put some kind of wire in my drill and let it spin around in there and it got most of it pretty quickly, the setup was very similar to a drain snake

I used a piece of speedometer cable in a drill when I wrote the FAQ.