Shift lever park lock problem 95' grand prix

mchill07

I bought a 95 GP today and found that the gear shifter can be moved out of park W/o the key or in the off position, When I turn the key to ACC or ON it locks until you place your foot on the brake. This cant be right... What kind of problem is this?

I concur with the shift lock cable, it runs from the ignition switch on top of the column to the shifter in the console.

The lock until brake release is a secondary electric solenoid.

remove the shift knob by taking the "staple" on it's front out. then tap it by hand till it comes up. Next pull the shifter tray and cupholders out, and you'll be at the shifter. Good chance the cable end is broken, which mean you need a replacement cable. I've seen this before, and likely it was tampering that damaged it.

I have a shift lock cable that fits you car if you are in need. PM me if you need.

I've got the center console apart to look at the shifter mech. I dont see where any adjustments to the cable can be made. Will I need to dismantle the steering column to find the other end? The brake release portion works, its just not locked in the key off position with the key removed. So basically its fine in all other positions just not off.

Remove the knee bolster and small metal panel to access where the cable hooks at the steering column.

I can't remember exactly how it's set up but you should be able to figure it out just looking at it.

remove the plastic panel and metal panel under the column. back the two bolts out at the base of the column halfway. remove the two bolts at the top next and let the column drop (push seat back!) the ignition switch is where the cable attaches, and it is on top of the column near it's base... see if the cable is attached and even functioning.