It's been awhile, but got the same problem.

Cygnus

So, doors not opening from the outside as usual during the winter. We had a large snowfall and it covered my car. Since it got cold I have been leaving my door open a crack or the window down. Well, the weight of the snow shut my door enough to get to the first click.

Now, the nature of what I ask my be a little un-ethical. I need to know how to break in to my car with out breaking my car. Maybe force the window down or something that can get inside and get the mechanism to work. I have a brick on stand by......

Edit: It's the car in my sig.

Edited by Cygnus

This may not help you get in, but for future precaution, when mine broke I tied a shoe string to the inside handle and would shut it in the door (so I could pull the inside handle with the string), or you could maybe leave it in the window and leave the window rolled down just a tiny bit so you could pull it :shrug:

So, doors not opening from the outside as usual during the winter. We had a large snowfall and it covered my car. Since it got cold I have been leaving my door open a crack or the window down. Well, the weight of the snow shut my door enough to get to the first click.

Now, the nature of what I ask my be a little un-ethical. I need to know how to break in to my car with out breaking my car. Maybe force the window down or something that can get inside and get the mechanism to work. I have a brick on stand by......

Edit: It's the car in my sig.

So you want us to tell you how to break into a vehicle? Nice try. Not going there.

How about you take the car to a shop--or pull the door panel yourself--and FIX THE MECHANISM? Then you won't need instructions on how to break in.

Don't forget to lightly lube the weatherstrip so it doesn't freeze to the metal of the body.

Do GP's have a pass-through? Maybe you get in through the trunk and then through there?

Maybe some of them do, not mine. I had an idea to knife out my back seat and crawl through. But there is a metal brace under the rear shelf and I wouldn't fit.

Dude, breaking into cars isn't hard. Doing it without damaging things so I can continue to drive it without paying for repairs is what I want.

Genius idea!.....oh wait, it's not. If I could get into the car and open the door I could do that. Maybe I should just grab an cut off wheel and cut off the outer door skin. No, that seems dumb....

I rarely have any issues with my weatherstrip freezing to the metal of the body. So, any other bright ideas?

Edited by Cygnus

I had to do it on my old 93 Z34, used a grinder with a cut off wheel, and carefully cut the pot metal handle right above the lever. Pryed it away from the door and using a screwdriver actuated the rods to open the door.

I read through this thread and I may have missed the obvious.

When you say your door handles don't work from the outside, are the actual handle levers broken so they just sort of flop around without any spring tension, or do they move normally and just not unlatch the door from the striker? :think:

Since you said it's a seasonal problem I am guessing the latter of the above scenarios is correct.

I had a driver's door handle mechanism go out of adjustment just enough that it became a real pain in the ass to open the door until I corrected the adjustment.

Edited by 1992GrandPrixSE

If it gets really cold then it starts to get floppy. Currently it has the same resistance as it would when I was able to open the door. The second part is correct, they move with tension, but don't unlatch the door.

I'll be honest, when my GP used to do this I used to just pull the handle swiftly but gently multiple times in rapid succession and usually by about the 3rd or 4th pull at most it would pop the latch.

Try pushing in on the door while pulling on the handle.

If you need to cut the door handle, cut between the top of the lever and the lower mounting stud as shown.

Norwich-20130205-00229_zpseeaeb6ba.jpg

Try pushing in on the door while pulling on the handle.

You sir are a genius! I totally pushed in on the passenger door while pulling the handle. It worked and I got in! Thank you very much for the tips!