Can't get 5- speed Manual to shift into reverse.

R Crusoe

All of a sudden, for no particular reason, I can't get my 1989 Pontiac Grand Prix to shift into reverse. It has the 5 speed manual transmission. I have removed the console and all looks OK there, removed the air cleaner housing to look at the cable connections to the transmission and everthing there seems normal as well. It will shift into 1st thru 5th but when in reverse position, it still goes forward.

Reverse is not synchro'ed so it is possible that your hitting the gear and not allowing it to enter reverse. If the cables are in working order and attached properly, one two reasons why it would go into reverse. The reason I stated, or something broken in the transmission. And since you say that it shifts fine through the other gears, start looking at simple things first before you rule that the problem is in the transmission itself.

Sent from my iPhone in some random spot of Texas.

Does anyone have pictures or video of what the shifter cable positions on the transaxel should look like in their various gear positions? Tried driving arould the block and went thru all the gears but when back at parking place, still no reverse.

post-2944-143689122672_thumb.jpg These are images I took of the positions of the likage and cable positions in the various gears - 1-5 and then reverse. Anyone see anything out of the ordinary??

post-2944-143689122589_thumb.jpg

post-2944-143689122605_thumb.jpg

post-2944-143689122618_thumb.jpg

post-2944-143689122631_thumb.jpg

post-2944-143689122643_thumb.jpg

post-2944-143689122657_thumb.jpg

i haven't tried, at least i don't know if it is in reverse. i suppose i could shift to reverse position, start the engine, and release the clutch to see if it actually went into reverse while the engine was not running. Why do you ask? Do you suspect there might be some electrical problem causing this situation?

That's what I was going to suggest. Put in reverse, fire it up and see what happens. I'm just curious if there's maybe something wrong with the reverse gear.

The fact that it goes into all forward gears would lead me to believe that it's not a linkage problem. However it is possible that just reverse could have gone sour.

It has all forward gears or just 2?
Shifts into 1st, 2nd, 3rd, and 4th, not 5th or reverse. I think I need new cables, but need help finding a supplier

Checked again on a test drive. Transmission will go into 1st and 2nd normally, but goes into 3rd and 4th in the position where normally you would shift into 5th and reverse. I suspect a problem with the cable which controls the shift pattern, possibly stretched or binding somewhere. I have searched online for a supplier of new cables, but have not had much luck. I possibly have someone who can manufacture new cables for me, but waiting on response.