3000 mile road trip- Oklahoma to West Virginia and back

JTalley

I saved up my money and left out the week before last in the Lumina. The whole idea of the trip was for me and my sister to go visit my other sister who we haven't seen in a while. We left out at around 8:30 in the morning and drove until nearly 11 at night. That first day we made it all the way across Arkansas and about 75% of the way through Tennessee. Kept it around 85 most of the way, picked it up every now and then, fastest I got up to was about 102, still had plenty of throttle left but didn't wanna get pulled over. That night we didn't want to waste money on a motel so we camped in the car in a Walmart parking lot. Just my luck, some kind of cold front hit at about 12. We stuck it out until 4:30, then ate our packed breakfast and hit the road again. Made it the rest of the way through Tennessee, all the way through Virginia, and into West Virginia, still holding it around 85, and made it to my sister's house just in time for supper.

We had a blast, and I got a bunch of pics. My sister's husband also helped me do the last finishing touches on that hood and latch I replaced a while back.

The trip home seemed to take forever, and there was bad weather for a good portion of the trip, so I had to reduce my speed a bit. We made it home with no problems with the car except for the headlight switch breaking. It still works, but I have to press it pretty hard to get it to click on.

All in all, it was a fun trip.

Edited by JTalley

You drove within a mile of my house lol.

I'm right off I40 in sallisaw.

Most boring drive in the US is across arkansas on I40.

How'd you like the bumper to bumper 70mph traffic around Conway? (Depending on time of day).

Sounds like fun. Glad to hear the Lumina did well. Post pics when you get a chance.

I put the pics on Facebook. The red link in my first post is to the album. I think there's about 35-40 pics in there.

You drove within a mile of my house lol.

I'm right off I40 in sallisaw.

Most boring drive in the US is across arkansas on I40.

How'd you like the bumper to bumper 70mph traffic around Conway? (Depending on time of day).

Arkansas was nothing but a straight, flat line. Not much to look at, but still kindof interesting in its own way.

And no kidding about bumper-to-bumper at 75 mph! Scared me half to death; people cutting right in front of me and right up on my tail!

Edited by JTalley

Sounds like a blast! I've always wanted to make a cross-country trip by car. It'll feel like it for me this summer, with all the events/trips I'll be taking in mine :lol:

I love to hear about W body road trips. Totally cool. Cant beat a nice ride and decent fuel economy at the same time. I used to take my olds anywhere and never worried for a second about anything. Car went flawless and only once let me down. fuel pump dies out of nowhere on a full tank of gas. Glad to hear of a successful trip. Thanks for sharing. LAst year I took a 3000 mile trip with one of my cadillacs, The fairly new to me one and it performed flawlessly. I wish I could afford to travel every week.