Does Anyone Know If There Are Separate Blend Doors For Drivers & Passenger heat ducts

Petes93cutlass

I have a 1993 Cutlass Supreme. Has anyone ever torn apart the heater box and knows how the guts of this works? When the heater is turned on I have heat blowing out of the passenger side but not drivers. What I would like to know if anyone has taken apart the heater box and knows if there are two separate blend doors for the drivers and passenger side. I called the dealership and they say there are two (2) blend door actuator motors part number 16124932. I found the one on the passenger side but I don't see another one. The dealership provided me a diagram but the diagram only shows one 16124932. Does anyone know if there is a actuator on the drivers side because I cant see one?

I'm not familiar with the Cutlass HVAC system, but if it is a dual-zone where driver and passenger can set different temperatures, there will be 2 blend actuators. If they cannot be independently adjusted, there will only be one.

I have a 1993 Cutlass Supreme....

...When the heater is turned on I have heat blowing out of the passenger side but not drivers.

Please be more specific:

1. You have heat blowing out the passenger side, you have cool/cold air blowing out driver's side; or

2. You have heat blowing out the passenger side, you have NO AIR MOVEMENT at the driver's side.

If the problem is no air movement on driver's side, I'd be looking for a disconnected/missing hose or air duct.

As I mentioned earlier... I have the electronic climate control. IT DOES NOT HAVE dual climate control.

When the heater is turned on full blast:

1) The heat blows nice and hot from the passenger vents but cold air from drivers vents

2) Very good air movement from both passenger and driver vents

It doesnt make sense because this car does not have the dual climate control which allows you to set the temperature for either driver or passenger side. When you set the temp its for both sides. I see that there is a door actuator on passenger but none on drivers side.

Not absolutely sure about your '93, I do know ALL '95 Cutlasses have two actuators, whether they had dual-climate systems or not.

Makes sense when you think about it...they only had to build ONE box to control either option...the controls made the difference whether it had dual-zone, or not.

On my '95, the driver's actuator is on the far left side of the heater box, very close to the linkage for the accellerator. I had to put myself with my head in the floorboard, body in the driver's seat even to SEE my actuator. Right side is where you'd expect, just slightly to the left of the glove box.

On mine, the plastic gear inside the actuator had cracked, frying the electronic controls. Good news, though, many of the same actuators are used on various GM trucks...much more common around here, and much easier to harvest at a junkyard. Mine cost less than 10 bucks, and came out of a 2003 Yukon.

Rockauto shows the P/N for an actuator for a '93 Cutlass Supreme is 1571846...

I cheated a bit on mine...once I knew the P/N, i started looking for what other vehicles used the same actuator, then went to the junkyard with a list of vehicles to check..took me less than 20 minutes to find one.

Edited by Galaxie500XL

I recently had AC & heat control problems w/ my '92 CS vert. When I turned on the heat or AC it would only blow hot or cold air when it wanted to. I replaced the ACC and now the AC comes like it is suppose to but the heat only blows a luke warm air no matter what the ACC setting or operating temp of the engine is. After reading this thread I'm thinking that the actuator might be a secondary issue.

Would the actuator from a non ACC car work with ACC? Both cars are '92's.

Edited by Reride
bad grammer

Something is wrong, and it is not the blend door actuator itself. you may have to get down and read up how to access the heater core. remove center console and shifter if floor shifted. remove kick panels above driver's and front passenger feet. remove the accelerator pedal with it's bracket. remove small duct between base of HVAC box and lower box tray. remove all the screws/bolts that hold the lower tray in place. 7mm typical from 94ish down, 5.5mm for 95ish up. Pull tray straight down, being careful not to crack the tray right over the accelerator pedal area. You are at the heater core.

1995 CS cars have ONE actuator if basic climate control, and TWO if Automatic climate control, which is dual zone. Same for 96 andf 97. 88-94 CSs were all ONE actuator equipped vehicles.

I appreciate the responses but why would the drivers side blow lukewarm heat while the passenger side is hot. I have the auto climate control and I know there is one actuator on the passenger side thats why I was hoping if anyone has been inside of the heater box and knows if there is only one blend door or 2. But if there was 2 blend doors then there should be 2 actuators

Well Crazy K technically did answer your question. 88-94 cars have one actuator, hence one blend door. You can't have two separate blend doors running one actuator.

If you've got poor heat on one side, then suspect your heater core is not working as efficiently as it should. You've got good heat on the passenger side because the air goes out that side first. By the time you get to the drivers side there isn't any heat left in the air. Especially on full blast.

Flush out the heater core really well then try it. See what happens.

I would bet there is something interfering with the closing of the heater blend door. You might start with removing the blend door motor and manually moving it back and forth to see if you can feel anything wrong.

ALSO, make sure if you remove the actuator you test it for full range. I have had one actuator that when you reach the last two setting on the limit of travel in the cold direction would actually reverse itself halfway.

Edited by Crazy K

Would that answer why he's getting full heat on the passenger side?

I guess it's possible. The only real way to know would be to use a thermometer and measure across the vents. Then compare it to someone who's got a good working system.

I've actually seen actuators do what you're describing. They work fine until one spot on the dial then they go all wonky. Gotta love electronics.