Installing new gas gauge on 93 Regal

itsabooick

My gas gauge fluctuates too much and I suddenly go from half a tank to gas light status in no time, so its time for a new one. How difficult exactly is it to replace my temp gauge/gas gauge in the instrument cluster of my 93 Regal GS? I need a new one, and the gas and temp come in one separate unit from the rest of the cluster. Is it hard to take the dash apart?

How do you know it's a problem with the gauge in the instrument cluster? That's pretty unusual - it's a simple ohmmeter. Have you inspected the variable resistor wiper assembly in the fuel tank? Those can corrode and cause inaccurate readings.

Well you'd have to remove the sending unit and measure the resistance as you sweep it slowly from full to empty and make sure it the value sweeps evenly and accurately to whatever the value is supposed to be. Unsure where'd you'd find that value. In any case the problem probably isn't the gauge. It just sweeps from full to empty. If there is really a problem it's likely the sending unit.

another vote for the sending unit....

if you want to test just the guage itself, get a 1-turn 100 ohm potentiometer(sensor is a 0-90 ohm unit)... connect the center terminal and either outside terminal to the fuel level sensor wires (1 purple, 1 black) and swing the potentiometer back and forth a few times, you'll see the guage swing according to where you have the potentiometer sitting at. if you hold it in one location and the needle on the guage is sitting still, then the guage sounds like it's working correctly.

not sure if the 93 regal clusters are like the 1.5W clusters in that they have basically no dampening circuit in the cluster, but if they do and the needle swings around really quickly in reponse to the pot, then you may need to replace the electrolytic capacitor for the fuel guage. probably a 25 volt, 470uF unit if i had to guess. a larger value cap could be used to slow down needle changes even further or a smaller value could be used to speed it up, your call.