Damage hitting curb! Whats broken?

Rick

Got snow yesterday and slid off the road into a curb, the wheel is pushed all the way back into the wheel well and a piece of the suspension is pulled off. Here are the pictures...

post-6351-143689120868_thumb.jpg

post-6351-143689120877_thumb.jpg

Is that a lower control arm that got pulled out? Do you guys think its salvageable...if so is the work manageable on your own. If I could get a answer before towing it to decide to have it sent home or to the shop that would be appreciated. Thank you!

Edited by Rick
added a picture

From the pics i see the control arm mounts bent/broken on the cradle. The cradle itself might be bent too. I'd also guess the control arm is bent too. Can't tell if the strut/knuckle is bent but it could be. I'd guess you'll need a new cradle, control arm, ball joint, and a wheel at least. Cradle swap isn't too bad a job, I've done it in about a day's worth of time.

So a best case scenario is that the control arm mounts are just broken, or is that a very slim possibility? So doing a cradle, ball joint, and control arm you dont think would be terribly hard, do you think it would also be under $500? Would the only way to tell if other things are bent to remove the wheel and just compare sides?

Theres damage to the sub frame..likely totaled..

Edited by Rick

Just get a new subframe. They wont total it. youll need a jy subframe, control arm, maybe tie rod and ball joint, and new rim.

post-6351-143689121001_thumb.jpg

Theres the damage..the bend in the subframe is to the right of the oil pan. Is that the control arm that connects to the subframe where its bent to the wheel? Idk if its possible to reweld that member, but thats what bent the subframe and I think is what caused the wheel to shift back..but I may be wrong.

Replacing a sub frame, can that be done at home or has to be a autoshop? sounds expensive.

Cant figure out why the images turned sideways..sorry about that

post-6351-1436891209_thumb.jpg

post-6351-143689120915_thumb.jpg

post-6351-143689120931_thumb.jpg

post-6351-143689120944_thumb.jpg

post-6351-143689120958_thumb.jpg

post-6351-143689120972_thumb.jpg

post-6351-143689120989_thumb.jpg

Edited by Rick

I've seen it happen before. Replace it with a unit from the jy. If they total it, but it back and fix it, then you'll have money as well. But if they don't total it (which I doubt they will) it's actually not that bad if a fix, even though it doesn't look good.

Sent from my iPhone in some random spot of Texas.

Bah! Damn phone didn't load all the message. It would be much easier to just replace all the parts than it would be to weld. Cheaper and easier. As long as the oil pan isn't broke, it's fine. You can replace the subframe at home, but it depends alot in what kind of tools you have.

Sent from my iPhone in some random spot of Texas.

I only have liability, so there wont be a check from the insurance company and it went unreported. If all the tools can be rented at AutoZone or the such I would do the sub frame replacement, I dont think there was damage to the oil pan but I havent been able to do a good check because there is still snow and were getting more rounds of snow so it may be a while until I can check everything over.

Buy a new subframe/control arm(s) from a junkyard, get an engine brace and support the engine/trans. get some small rope and tie the rack up to the brace as well so it does not pull out the steering shaft. or just remove the rack for the job and re install.

Get:

junkyard subframe/control arms

new subframe bushings

new swaybar bushings

balljoints

may need a tie rod/tie rod end, check that out. Tie rods are easy to change with the rack out of the car.

and a new wheel

do the work yourself and spend the money you saved on getting some decent tires so that does not happen again.

Very good advice here. One thing to add, the subframe bolts might be hard to break loose. I couldn't budge mine even with a breaker bar.

I hosed my subframe bolts with PB blaster a day before taking them out - to do that I had to pop the little plastic covers off on the firewall down by the rear bolts, the fronts I think there was an opening in the frame rail I was able to get it shot in there. They came out just fine with a breaker bar.

I've had the cradle out on both the Luminas... I picked up an engine support bar to do the job - worked well holding a full 3800 and trans up while the cradle was out, though if I was under there I did place a couple jackstands under the engine/trans just in case. As for the rack, I found it much easier to just undo the bolts and tie it up to the support brace rather than removing it. The job would've gone faster with some extra hands but I did get it done myself using 2 jacks and some extra jackstands to hold it while I was mid-drop, then wheeled it out on the jack. With the cradle out on both cars, it made some other jobs a lot easier such as replacing the oil pan gasket, ball joints, and engine/trans mounts.

Pic attached of my setup for getting the cradle out... I did also remove the hood to make it easier to place the support bar where I needed it - and the extra light making its way down made it easier to see what I was doing.

IMG_1549_zps23e16c40.jpg

John, same car, but a different wheel.

(!). I'm thinking after you get it fixed up you need to get some new tires or something. That isn't good.

• 1 month later...

School has been kicking my ass..sorry for not being terribly active. Well when I last looked the tie rod is bent, sub frame bent, cradle connection snaped, wheel/tire ruined, and i might of cracked the oil pan or made the prior oil leak worse, i started the car and the oil leak that was small drips here and there is now very frequent, thats all i noticed so im under the assumption its totaled, but were going to get a spare and try getting it to the auto shop over spring break and get a estimate..im in no hurry because I cant afford it as of now.

Assuming the oil leak isnt a bolt loosened on the pan or something i'd say its totaled, didnt have time to check before school with the snowy weather.

Looks like im going to just part it out most likely and maybe junk it since the subframe is kind of trashed. There was 4 new struts on the car, axles, and brakes...you guys think there is any resale value in that? ill pull regardless incase i get another compatible car anyways though.

Sad day..now the search for the next car and a job at mizzou to aquire some currency.

Edited by Rick

Snowy weather? Wuchew talkin bout willis!?

Rick you still in the Fenton/Valley Park area? I might be interested in some of the interior bits. I don't in all honesty know what swaps between GP's and Cutlasses, but maybe I could come by sometime?

Im in Columbia at Mizzou right now, ill be back for spring break if you'd want to check it out then I would definitely be open to it. I think my spring break is the end of march. Alright there was a little bit of snow where I didnt feel like getting under the car. No fun working in the freezing cold lol

Im in Columbia at Mizzou right now, ill be back for spring break if you'd want to check it out then I would definitely be open to it. I think my spring break is the end of march. Alright there was a little bit of snow where I didnt feel like getting under the car. No fun working in the freezing cold lol

Haha no worries. And yeah I figured it was either Mizzou, Rolla, or SEMO. I guess post on here whenever you get back in town