What is this plug for?

Reride

While replacing the battery in my '92 Cutlass Convertible yesterday I found this plug (see photo). It coming out of a loom that goes down towords the starter and only has one other wire in it, a fusible link that goes to the remote positive terminal. What is for and where does it plug in at? It's eay to tell it hasn't been plugged in for a long time.

post-7875-143689120643_thumb.jpg

How is it used? Do you just put 12 volts to it with a fuel pressure gauge on the fuel rail? Lastly, what fuel pressure should you have for a 3.1?

Edited by Reride

While replacing the battery in my '92 Cutlass Convertible yesterday I found this plug (see photo). It coming out of a loom that goes down towords the starter and only has one other wire in it, a fusible link that goes to the remote positive terminal. What is for and where does it plug in at? It's eay to tell it hasn't been plugged in for a long time.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]11381[/ATTACH]

Both of those wires go across the engine compartment to the electrical center on the right side.

Both of those wires are for the fuel pump. The wire with the fusible link, connected to the remote positive terminal is the power source for the fuel pump fuse in the electrical center. The other--the one in your photo--is a test lead that can be connected to battery voltage, and then supplies power to the fuel pump relay so that the relay transfers the power to the fuel pump without the relay contacts being closed in the normal fashion.

If you test the fuel pump circuitry, you'll find that GM failed to use adequate gauge wire, so the voltage drop is horrible. It works, but the harness should have been 12-gauge instead of 16-gauge. The fuel pump would get about 2 more volts, and a proportionate amount of amperage, if the harness was properly sized.