3100 Distributor o-ring mid project question.

rich_e777

Title explains it to those who`ve done it on a 3100. Got everything apart but figured out i dont have a wrench big enough on me to remove that big ass fitting leading out the rear of the thermo. housing. looks like a heater hose. I cannot get the bolt that holds the distributor plug done without removing it unless i remove entire intake manifold.

As much as i would love to do that i dont have the need to do it and the closest hardware/auto store is a good little walk back into town and i only have enough cash for 1 at a time right now and dont want to get the wrong size. its bigger than 1" in SAE and maybe a 21-23mm metric. can any of you guys confirm? Channel locks and vice grips ain`t cuttin` it on this one yall, even with wd-40.

Nothing like a 20mi round trip walk for a damn wrench, but at least it wasnt with a rucksack and boots this time around:lol:

one more question, since this is a problem on these engine and the plug isnt really suppose to come out could i use some stuff for patching up mufflers to make this a permanant seal? New orings and paper gaskets can fail again.

Edited by rich_e777

Chances are a new o-ring wont fail anytime soon. However if your looking to go overkill on sealing it, get a new o-ring, then RTV the flat mating surfaces. They do make a gasket for that area, but if you don't wanna walk to go get it, just use RTV.

Sent from my iPhone in some random spot of Texas.

That coolant fitting you're describing sometimes breaks when it's removed. You can get new one's from the parts store though. I would recommend it actually, just in case. IIRC, they're only ~$10.

Ah got it all back together and now I cant find the damn pcv valvle to rear valve cover tube. WTF it was right there in my front seat with all the other parts i took off. I knew things were going to easy today. Thx for the answers guys, off to fuck something else up:thumbsup:

Early original fittings were aluminum, as I've seen on 3.1 multiports. Later they were steel from the OEM. The new ones by Dorman are steel. Buy a new one if you touch it all.

I worked on a 3100 in a ~96 Achieva for a friend years ago. For whatever reason, I couldn't get the "quick" disconnect released, and decided to unthread it from the LIM. The threaded portion of the fitting then crumbled and a piece stayed in the intake.

That sucks, i found i didnt have to remove the fitting just undo it enough to get the bolt out that holds the Dis. plug in. But I still had to drain the coolant so it didnt drip out at the fitting. My plug didnt even have an old o-ring or anything that provided a seal. No wonder its been leaking since i got it.

Edited by rich_e777