2G Regal Mileage Display Inop

pwmin

This seems to be a common problem with these. My mileage/gear indicator display started working intermittently and now it pretty much is completely inoperable. Does anyone know how to fix the display? I'm seeing a bunch of repair services on ebay where you send yours in and they fix it and ship it back, but I can't be without mine, so I'm wondering what they do. I'd just get another, but I need to find one close on mileage just because I'm sorta anal about that.

That's right, they are 150 ohm 1/2 watt resistors. They can be purchased for a couple bucks a pack, you'll need 2 packs if you want to replace them all.

Decent video showing where the resistors are...

Thanks, guys, I'll check into those links. I can solder well enough to change some resistors on a board. I had it apart and didn't see any bad solder joints where the display is soldered to the board, but I'll check the resistors and see if there's just some bad solder joints or if they need replaced, but maybe I'll just do that anyway. I've resoldered the heater display on the Riviera before.

More often than not the resistors SHOULD be replaced. Sometimes they fall off completely. I found two missing ones, a cracked one and two burned ones that no longer had proper resistance when Nicole and I did her cluster. We replaced them all in a half hour.

Be sure to replace the old solder with the proper 2% silver bearing solder like 62/36/2.

Use 2% silver and the heat from the resistor should not crack the solder again.

Radio Shack sometimes stocks this 2% silver under part # 63-013 but the price keep going up.

Eventually you will not be able to purchase the 62tin/36lead/2silver mixed solder so stock up if you can find it.

Yeah, pretty sure I'll just replace the resistors, maybe even the ones for the DIC display even though it's fine.

Good idea. You may as well since you'll be going through the trouble to take it apart. More than likely the Dic will be out again soon so why not. 2 packs of resistors takes care of the whole board.

Be sure to replace the old solder with the proper 2% silver bearing solder like 62/36/2.

Use 2% silver and the heat from the resistor should not crack the solder again.

Radio Shack sometimes stocks this 2% silver under part # 63-013 but the price keep going up.

Eventually you will not be able to purchase the 62tin/36lead/2silver mixed solder so stock up if you can find it.

THIS! 60/40 works just as well but if you can find silver-bearing leaded use it. Don't even bother with lead free junk.

@anyone with this issue who is a little intimidated with a DIY repair, shoot me a PM I'll do it for you. :thumbsup:

Thanks for the advice, but I already switched out the resistors. Hopefully it won't happen again, but if it does, I'll definitely look for that silver solder. Thanks again for the help, everyone. I just did the mileage display, but then it was brighter than the DIC display, so I did that also. There were 3 that I didn't actually replace, but if I have a problem again, I'll replace them.