New Member with Questions!

95gtpFrausto

Hello All,

My name is Marco and I have a 1995 Pontiac Grand Prix Special Edition with the 3.4 in it. Nothing special just stock through and through. I change the oil on a regualr basis, I had the intake manifold gaskets changed both upper and lower. I have the pcv valve, fuel pressure regulator, a new cat coverter, new plugs and wires. Ok so I drive to work everyday in this car its got like 183 k miles on it and when I run it for like 45 mins, I'll put it in park and it will rev up a just a tad and turn right off. Now theres no problem of it not starting back up but it just dies like that. Also too im in Iowa so its cold over here and I start it up and I can hear that piston slapping that these engines are notorious for but onces it warms it goes away. Any advice would be great.

Welcome, I have the same car minus the special edition. Maybe you have a vacuum leak somewhere? These motors seem like they have to be pretty well maintained compared to the 3100. Or it might be when they changed the manifold gaskets they didn't do such a great job. On my car the previous owner had the top one replaced and they stripped the bolts to the intake when putting it back together. Check those

Post some pics up though! What color is yours? Do you have the polished wheels? If so, Ill buy em off of you! ;)

Haha I wish I did have the chrome wheels on my mine I think it would look real sharp! I was thinking about getting the rims powder coated to a black color...I'm not sure yet! I have the White wheels on there, the green interior you know the deal! HA! Anyways I love this car so much I want to do so much to it I have a lot of my list! I'm just waiting on tax time to get these projects going! Hmm so for a vacuum is that when I get a cigar or whatever and blow smoke on it to see where it is sucking it up at? I really hope it's not the job my mechanic did on the gaskets because that was a pain in the ass! It runs great... when I'm on the freeway I can definitly pass a lot of folks no big deal it's just I don't want to have to replace the engine if I can just get these minor tweaks out of the way ya kno? Any more info would be awesome!

Anyone else might know what this problem could be? When I run the car for a good 45 mins on the road and when I come to stop and park it will rev then shut off. It will infact start right back up when I need it to be but I want to know if anyone else has ran in to that?

I was thinking that! I'm going to do the transmission filter and fluid tonight so I will get on that... There's no vacuum leak sound at all but I'm prety sure it might be that, thanks bud!