How rare is your W-Body?...

Starflare5

the only transmission related traction control anything were certain cadillacs and MAYBE some of the top 3800 cars..... riviera/reatta/toronado type stuff, not W-bodies. IIRC, that didn't last very long either, nor do i know exactly how it functions, it's been a while since i've looked at it.

as far as W-bodies, the "low trac" light in the cluster is activated by the ABS module to indicate that it is modulating your brake pressure to prevent you from locking up one or more wheels. once you get into 2nd gens, then traction control was actually implimented and the ABS module went from EBCM to EBTCM.

Ok I'm not gonna pretend I know everything, But that really is not traction control.

That's more on the lines of the abs sensors sensing too big change from one wheel to the next so It disengauges the cruise. If you are driving with your foot on the gas holding it steady your tires will break free. They will continue to spin until you let off the gas.

Not trying to burst your bubble or anything. Just trying to keep you informed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ok, here's a note, this isn't my first car with ABS, or my first with this feature. First of all, I had a 1992 corsica with a very similar ABS system, transmission, ETC, however, it did not do the same thing as my '94 cutlass. It would leave the Cruise control on for one, which is kind of how it slipped me off the road and into a colvert and field once. I have also had a 2000 Grand Am (these vehicles were in between my W-bodies), anyway, the grand am had traction control that had a switch and reacted on its own the very same way my '94 cutlass did. I also had a 95 supreme once that had it as well.

Also, if you want to get technical about it, basic ABS alone only reacts when your foot is on the brake pedal. Traction Control took this 1 step forther by using the speed sensors to engage ABS without driver interaction so that system could do it's job in the transaxle. As I said before, GM seemed to hide this feature in my car, but, my car has all the wiring and fuses for it starting with a 15 amp fuse loaded in the spot in the RH underhood marked TCC. Why would there be both wires (in and out) attached to this fuse that according to a book is traction control, and, the fuse actually be inserted if this feature was not there?

To be honest, I really both like and dislike this feature. It's good for rainy situations, bad for ice and snow because it may not be able to be disengaged unless I pull the fuse.

Also, can you think of anything else that would be some odd ball added option to that transaxle? If all of them were created equal, why would there be different codes? All had automatic overdrive, 4 speed automatic. I asked someone to explain to me what the merchandising option was when my car answered the question for me, because, I couldn't explain what it did on it's own unless I had an angel under the hood. Traction control was pretty much the only logical explaination I could think of.. and I noticed the fuse and wiring about a million times, but, didn't give it a second thought until now.

Edited by Starflare5

TCC = torque converter clutch. every car has this fuse/wiring.

i'm not trying to sound like an ass, but you have nothing special. it's the same 4T60E that every other 94-95 3.4 or 3100 equipped W-body got. it's also exactly the same ABS system.

I daily drive a '95 LQ1 Cutlass. Sorry, no traction control...just an annoying yellow light to let you know the ABS is working hard for you (the LO TRAC indicator), if an excess wheel speed difference between wheels is detected. :lol:

The first time it came on startled me silly...I was afraid something had gone wrong with the car. :roll:

um, the '95 cutlass Supreme had it with an indicator light, but, no way to switch it off. My '94 deffinately has it, but, not even a light. There is a fuse for it in the RH fuse box over the computer also. Anyway, the way I figured out that mine has it is that I was about to hydroplane with the cruise control on. When my car felt slippage, it automatically engaged the brakes, turned off the cruise, and adjusted and corrected wheel spin. It litterally saved me in a split second before I realized what happened. From what I read, This was a "standard" feature that was in test for roughly 5-6 years before GM actually started to add switches to enable and disable it. It started with the solenoid being added to the 4T60E transaxles, though, the year it actually started is kind of fuzzy because GM started testing this since 1992 with their smaller vehicle lines first and the newer ABS systems.