OnStar Antenna Conversion

vyper144

Okay, so I have the analog OnStar System, which obviously doesn't work anymore. I want to rip the box out of the trunk because it just takes up room and adds more weight. However, I've been trying to do some research and see if I can find some way to make the OnStar antenna a CB antenna.

Anyone know if this is possible? I'm assuming I'd probably need an amplifier to make the range stronger, but I wouldn't even know where to start or where to get an amp for it...

Any help would be great!

I doubt it will work for what you want it to do. Off the shelf CB range is 1 mile or less and damn near needs line of sight to work. Anything over 1 mile of range requries an FCC license to operate. I don't know much about citizens band operation, modulation, transmission, and recieving, but just from the nature of the equipment, it seems a mast syle antenna may be necessary for successful operation at any usable range too.

I really like the idea of using the Onstar antenna for something else as well, but really wonder what could it practically be used for that would have effective range and whatnot.

That OnStar stuff really isn't adding any real amount of weight. You could always pay your friendly gm dealer $100 and get it upgraded to digital equipment.

My 2k3 bonneville also has the analog equipment but I have enough cramp to worry about I don't need another subscription.

Only thing I can think of that it'd be good for is if you had a cell phone car kit with an external antenna hookup. It's basically just a ~800MHz cellular antenna, which should still work for AT&T, I think. However, I don't think any modern smartphones have car-kit hookups any more. Last time I remember a phone having an external antenna jack was some old dumbphone from 5yrs ago.

Chances are, it won't work for much except cellular, but I imagine it has a coax hookup so you could try to hook it up to stuff and see what kind of reception you get (probably pretty poor).