Ignition switch problem ahhhh please help!

daledubourg

hi all I'm new to the forum, but not new the headaches that general motors seems to create :think:

first off i own a 1994 pontiac grand prix with the 3.1

heres my issue ive had all the common problem pointing me to a new ignition switch, random lights on the dash, sometimes starting sometimes not so on and so forth... I coughed up the change for a new one crawled under the dash to change it, after a little bit of struggle i got it out and went to get the new one in. Something didnt seem right to me so i started tearing more apart to identify the issue, and i saw this

post-7508-14368911717_thumb.jpg

now i could be wrong but looking at this i think that bar coming from the column is supposed to be attached to the switch, also when i turn the key through all the positions that bar wants to press against that switch which seems odd to me. anyway im at a loss here im not sure what this was supposed to look like before i took it apart :shrug: and also how much this bar is supposed to move and how to fix whatever is broken. Any help would be greatly appreciated :D