Checking in... things... The 99 GTP and my poor Precious :(

EviLette

Hey Everyone,

It’s been forever since I’ve posted. Sorry. My little one is almost 15 months old, and I spend a lot of time chasing her around. :) The last time I was on here, I was putting an alternator on my 99 GTP Sedan. Since that, I’ve done a few other things and ran into a couple interesting (annoying) problems.

I got the alternator switched out in the GTP, and that solved the random DIC flickering issue. It was all connected to the dying alternator. Since then I have also replaced its blower motor and a window on the back of the passenger rear door that was broken out. I had a friend’s GT catch fire while sitting, and was able to harvest a new dash and glove box for mine (same color and mine were missing – car was going to a crusher.) I also have tunes now, thankfully.

The GTP is still having some random, strange starting issues – and another that popped up more recently. Every time the car starts cold, it now runs rough for 30-45 seconds. Then, just slick as you please it idles fine. It doesn’t stall out at all here. If I start it up after only sitting for 5-10 minutes or so, and every time I put gas in it, it will refuse to start with just the key. I have to tap the gas and actually give it some for it to catch and run. It will idle high for a moment and then kick down and run fine. It did this very badly when it was hot outside – to the point that the car would sputter out and die. It seems fuel related, so I haven’t touched the coils or (ECM/ICM?) that they attach to – though I noticed it’s much more convenient than the 92 SE… Do you think this could be a fuel filter needing replaced or a pump going out? Ideas?

I have been advised that this car had electrical issues (and again the above doesn’t seem particularly electrical to me but I could be wrong.) The only issue with this car that’s ever stuck out to me as electrical was the flickering gauges and that was fixed by the alternator.

My plans are to do a few things to the GTP that need done before it gets too cold. I’d like to fix those issues, and deal with the rest in spring. Precious has been sitting this whole time. I pulled apart everything on the battery/jump point/starter and clean up the connections but it didn’t help anything. I had to replace the battery I bought in March (under warranty) but I don’t get enough chance to drive the car. Just sitting, the battery will go from fully charged to totally dead in 7-10 days. Then, I jump it but it won’t stay running when I hit the brake (too little charge I guess?) This is leaving the amp switched off along with the alarm disarmed. I don’t know if I’ve got a drain on the power or not. I am considering sending Precious to a friend to have him go through her and figure out what needs done to bring her back and solve some of the gremlins (windows not functioning properly, eating up door handles at an alarming rate – and it’s not me!, eating motor mounts, eating blower motors, weak electrical – etc.) so I can drive her again. I just don’t have time to now. I can’t keep up with both myself and the GTP is more reliable right now. :(

Oh, well, and it has a supercharger. Can't forget that. :flamingdevil:

sounds like what my 40th does, sometimes it starts and runs perfect.. other times it startes revs up one time and dies to re start i have to give it gas. sometimes it revs up and down when i first start it.. I think its the IAC ill let you know when i fix mine, i also think mine is fuel related lol

did you put a new engine ground strap in?

In which one? Precious? That's what's wrong with posting about two vehicles on one post, but I didn't want to cause unnecessary posts and alleged post whoredom (LOL).

Even if precious needs a lot of work these days, at least you have another ride when she is down.

Good to hear your little one is doing well.

Agreed. I am hoping to use the winter months to do some serious rehabbing on Precious. Amira is wonderful. I'll have to post some pictures of the little monster up here. (I use the term fondly!)

Hi!!! Miss you!

Likewise, Buck. <3

sounds like what my 40th does, sometimes it starts and runs perfect.. other times it startes revs up one time and dies to re start i have to give it gas. sometimes it revs up and down when i first start it.. I think its the IAC ill let you know when i fix mine, i also think mine is fuel related lol

That would be good information to have. All the symptoms do point to fuel related rather than spark. I need to have my fuel pressure tested. I guess pressure can be good but it can lack the volume necessary to function correctly? (This was disclosed to me by a mechanic while testing a fuel pump on Precious.)

As a side note - am I the only one noting the oddity of calling the GTP an "it" and Precious is a "her"? I swear, the GTP is not a rebuild and refinish like Precious is, it's my DD. I am toying with the idea of going sort of sleeper-ish with the GTP but leaving the body looking hammered like it is. It is wonderfully convenient with a child to not have to worry about parking way the hell out to avoid door dings. :D

In which one? Precious? That's what's wrong with posting about two vehicles on one post, but I didn't want to cause unnecessary posts and alleged post whoredom (LOL).

either one

ahhhh, i see. well its good to see you still haven't lost interest in your black GP. sorry to hear about the door handles, I wonder why they break?

I had a mechanic install one in the car, and rather than him adjusting the tension screws on the handle levers themselves, he decided he would bend the actuator levers that run into the door. Ever since then, I can't keep a lock clip on my lock cylinder, and the door handles blow out about every 3-6 months.... Really frustrating. I am thinking about eventually just tracking down a set of '96 doors and swapping out the goodies.

I am thinking that's why I am having this issue so badly. I certainly know the proper way to use these handles :)

damn that sucks. I got two tgp doors here in my back yard I was thinking about scrapping them soon. I can grab parts off them, or I have door handles. let me know if you need anything.

Need door handles for both sides. The passenger broke off in 2010 and I haven't bothered to replace it because people keep breaking it FOR ME. My doors both have all kinds of random bugs with them, but in this situation with the handles continuiously stretching and breaking I think it's the actuator lever.. it puts weird stress on the handle itself and causes the pot metal to stretch faster than ususal. I have to adjust the handles 3 times or so, and by the 3rd adjustment they are toast. Are the actuator levers inside the door (for lock/door latch) removeable? I would assume so. If yes, possibly those as well. It's only been the driver's issue I've had issues with.

PM me if you want to get specific on the details.

Also, I am missing the nut for the very top of the driver's door (the convex one that that cuts the threads to hold the top of the door handle on) I can't find the damn thing anywhere locally - auto parts stores and hardware stores alike look at me like I am nuts.

Oh, and what is this ground strap you speak of? I feel as though I should know, and I've searched the forum and found a number of responses, so what's the best info relative to my 92? :) Link is fine, and appreciated!

ETA:

I only say both doors do weird things because my passenger window goes down just fine, but sometimes won't go up at all, and other times goes up fine. I don't think it's the motor, I think it's a wire pinched somewhere - which might also attribute to the likelihood of the possible parasitic drain I am experiencing.

Edited by EviLette

I will see if I can get some of the parts gutted out of there. I would love to be able to just GIVE you these doors. but I am on the west coast so that won't work. I can make the ground cable, they are all the same on 1st gens. you probably won't see it unless you dig a little. under the air box, going from the side of the battery tray, over to the transmission where its bolted on to the side of the block.

Haha. I guess that's why I had earthly idea where this ground strap was located. At least it seems to be more useful and sensical than the magical ball at the front and below. :D (Believe it's some kind of vacuum pod or some sort...)

The GTP is still having some random, strange starting issues – and another that popped up more recently. Every time the car starts cold, it now runs rough for 30-45 seconds. Then, just slick as you please it idles fine. It doesn’t stall out at all here. If I start it up after only sitting for 5-10 minutes or so, and every time I put gas in it, it will refuse to start with just the key. I have to tap the gas and actually give it some for it to catch and run. It will idle high for a moment and then kick down and run fine. It did this very badly when it was hot outside – to the point that the car would sputter out and die. It seems fuel related, so I haven’t touched the coils or (ECM/ICM?) that they attach to – though I noticed it’s much more convenient than the 92 SE… Do you thinkhis coue a fuel filter needing replaced or a pu going out

I had a similar issue with my Malibu, it turned out to be a fuel pressure reguator. When you find it on your car pull the vacuum line off of it, if fuel is coming from the regulator or smells strongly of fuel, it's bad.

Better way to test the FPR is to put a vacuum gauge on it to see if it holds pressure. The diaphram in them sometimes breaks and it does not function properly. If it holds vacuum, its good. if the vacuum bleeds off to 0, then its no good.