Found A Cheap TGP For Sale What Do I Do?

base93lumina

That body would make a great one for someone back east that has a rotted out one.

Boy howdy, if I had any money to spare I would be offering to buy the rust free shell of that TGP...

I vote buy TGP and fix TGP and leave it a TGP...

Seriously. Base Luminas are a dime a dozen. Turbo Grand Prixs are pretty damn rare. I hate hate HATE when people deliberately destroy a rare car.

QFTTTTTTTTt

It's a car! seriously people? there are much rarer,and definently more desired vehicles out there. I'd much rather have custom than stock

You are right, it is a car. But as we all know these cars are getting harder and harder to find. It's a community like us that keeps some of these rarer beasts on the road. So yes, it IS a shame when someone (might) take a good probably easily fixable TGP and destroys it to put the motor into a base lumina. If nothing else I'd rather see an L67 go in the lumina and leave the TGP alone.

It's a car! seriously people? there are much rarer,and definently more desired vehicles out there. I'd much rather have custom than stock

I will give you more desired, but production #s are pretty damn low for TGPs. Killing one to put the power plant in a base lumina is assinine (sp?) IMHO.

Etched into the interweb from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk

I will give you more desired, but production #s are pretty damn low for TGPs. Killing one to put the power plant in a base lumina is assinine (sp?) IMHO.

QFT!

Think of it this way. When you watch a Mecum Auction on TV you see cars selling for big money that were once out of favor which caused most of them to get crushed.

I'm not going to say that any w-body will ever be highly collectible. But if any of them are going to be, my bet would be on the Cutlass Convertibles and the Turbo Grand Prixs. (And maybe a Monte Carlo SS with the V8.)

You don't want to be an old man sitting there watching TV and see a TGP sell for a pile of money and then think to yourself, "I had one of those that was in really good shape. But I thought it would be a good idea to hack it up and put the engine in a Lumina."

If you swap the engines you'll have two cars that are both nearly worthless to anybody but you.

It's your money though...

I know alot old buddies that sold cars back when that were worth buttloads now. They all wished they kept em but not for the money.

They might be worth something in 50yrs,but right now one that is running with a flat tire and sitting for a year is worth $50.

I say that because that is what I paid for the one I bought for a fiero engine swap.

And I haven't seen one sell for over $5k since I started paying attention a few years ago.

I would rather sell the car and make a few dollars now then save it to sell for a few more later.

In 1963 a corvette cost $4k,which is about $35k when adjusted for inflation of today.

average prices of one today are $35k to 80k with a few +100k rarities.

so asuuming it was a semi rare car of the 20k made and around $60k value today the actual profit if sold when adjusted for inflation would be around $25k.

Nice profit?

That same $4k in the simplest investment plan over that period with low rates should return more than that,hell the Gerber Grow-Up plan has a better return in like half the time.

So I propose that keeping it for purely monetary reasons is the most ignorant thing that could be done.

I won't mention actual net profit after deductions for 50yrs of upkeep from everything like storage,climate control,maintenance.

You would be better off selling now and investing the money if that's what your worried about.

Use the powertrain,sell off parts and give the body away to an enthusiast if it's what suits you. <---werk'd for me

Or fix it,sell it for what you can get and invest it.

Just don't keep it "for the money later".

Edited by DefEddie

Even if he puts the drivetrain into his Lumina, he can still sell the shell(to someone here...ie rust belt guys would take it maybe?) for the right price...and a TGP wouldn't be wasted.

However if I were to swap a TGP motor into a different car, I'd at least do it to a TGP that isn't worth saving as a whole. This car I'd fix.

Sounds like a silly idea to me. TGP is a much better car than a Lumina sedan in pretty much every way. I can't think of a single thing on a Lumina sedan that's better than a TGP.

I vote if you really want pull the engine and put it in the lumina. Then yes sell the shell to someone who will use it

For the price you can't complain and at least you get it and not someone who will make it into a demo car