Seat Repair?

Galaxie500XL

I've run into a problem...the driver's seat back in my '95 is CROOKED..leaned back on the right side, and the seat back seems loose on the right side...are there bolts under the leather that bolt the seat back to the seat bottom that may be loose, or am I going to need to find another seat?

hmm.....

assuming the seat is setup like it is in both the 90GP and 95MC(both rear benches), then the only retention the seat-back has is that i seem to remember it sliding down into some type of bracket and i think two bolts that hold it down?

been a while since i've messed with it though, so i could be forgetting a couple of fasteners.

Well, that's a start..is the upholstery on the seatback simply velcroed together? There seem to be two plastic runners at the seam at the bottom...haven't tried to separate them yet.

I have this problem in some of my cars. seems to be cause by prior owners using the seat in a sloughed position. I NEED to experiment if it can be fixed or replaced, myself. And, yes, I have swapped upholstery to use the best frame when possible. More info to come ahead.

A related question...Grand Prix are far more common than Cutlasses around here...I know the front seats from a GP are a direct bolt-in for Cutlasses, but what about the rear seats?

There's a '96 Grand Prix with almost perfect leather seats in a jy near me...it would be tempting to just pull the seat, and put it in my Cutlass, but since the GP seats are styled differently than my Graphite leather seats in the Cutlass, if I did such a thing, I'd want everything to match.

i don't see why it wouldn't.....

the 91 GP SE i got from Ben has red leather AQ9s from a CS. they bolt in and otherwise don't have any fitment issues or anything like that.

I wonder if being a 'vert would make any difference at all. I know you can put rear benches in quad bucket 'verts with no issues from another CS. I imagine the GP rear bench would fit as well.

GP rear bench will fit. Same as CS. Seems like a lot more work than to just fix your seat. Unless your looking to upgrade worn out leather.

The seat covers are easy to remove and re-install. Once you have the plastic seam loose, the cover can be removed from the seat. Head

rest comes off with a hard/quick pull upwards. The small seat release lever can be pried loose with a pair of needle nose pliers. The cover is

velcro'd to the foam. Reach your hand up underneath the front of the cover and pull the velcro loose from the foam and work the cover up off the

foam. The bottom cover has the plastic seam front and rear and 2 rods that run on either side that are push pinned into the frame. Seat plastic trim has to be removed to access these. There are 2 (one on each side) hog rings at the seat bottom carpet (rear of seat) that need to be removed. Then the cover with foam can be removed from the frame. A GP seat frame is the same. If you're using a non-power seat frame to replace a power seat frame, the the seat tracks can be switched by removing 4 bolts the hold them to the frame from the top after the lower cover is removed.

Hope this doesn't sound too confusing. It really is pretty simple to do.

That's some very good information everyone...thanks!

I'd rather leave the interior stock..but around here, seats can be bought pretty cheaply. I paid $50.00 for a complete set of seats for my old LeBaron a few years ago. :)

• 2 weeks later...

K:

Any further info yet?

I have this problem in some of my cars. seems to be cause by prior owners using the seat in a sloughed position. I NEED to experiment if it can be fixed or replaced, myself. And, yes, I have swapped upholstery to use the best frame when possible. More info to come ahead.