Normal for GP to screw up all the time?

Red Nightmare

Well, for the longest time i wanted OUT of the red nightmare. Problems I had were - RKE system failure, security system failure, radiator leaks, the distributor cap oil leak, FPR failed, brakes sucked, sunroof screwed up, window coming off track, erratic temp gauge even when radiator was full and bled, other oil leaks, both PS lines leaking at different times, front passenger strut making noise, etc

Anyways, the car was 18 years old and had 193K when I got it and 213K when the next person bought it.

Despite my best efforts and many wasted days working on crap, it was never enough.

When the return PS line started leaking and I basically had to rig in a new one, I called it quits with the damned thing.

I got a smaller car that the GTP would eat for breakfast so I do miss the performance.

Is it normal for GP to be constant stupid problems or was mine just too old?

High miles + lack of maint by previous owners always = headache for new owner. Doesnt matter what vehicle.

My truck is the same way, but because i love it, i am putting the time, money, and effort into fixing all its flaws.

But to be fair, After 1500 dollars or so, they can be pretty reliable. Like my 88 for example. A member here previous to me bought it in AWFUL shape out in a field barely running as far as I know. He sank a lot into the major issues before making a trade with me. It's been pretty awesome for me, I've put about 6000 miles on it without any real trouble. I'm just trying to get it COSMETICALLY pretty now. Among plenty of little things. Still sinking hundreds into it but I'd hop in and drive to California right now if I needed to. Loving it.....

^^^What he said.

The jist of this online community is people crazy enough for these vehicles to put up with all the bullshit and get them nice.

This..

My Tgp Is about as temperamental as they come but I could not imagine not having It. The hours I spend just keeping the gremlins at bay, Its all worth It to me.

Cheers

My GP is always broke, big joke is takes a week to fix for a week of driving

You really just have to learn to love them, after fixing them constantly you learn quickly

Also women love grand prixs. Especially the loud teal ones :thumbsup:

old cars have old car problems....

especially since 1G W-bodies represent some of the earlier almost fully electronic everything cars. intermittent electronic issues are a total PITA.

Despite my best efforts and many wasted days working on crap, it was never enough.

I remember those days and it wasn't that long ago. I have owned these cars for over a decade.

The universal answer is: YES

Yes it is completely normal for Grand Prix's to screw up all of the time. Infact if they aren't, I'd be very, very concerned that there could some something seriously wrong with your car.

But to be fair, After 1500 dollars or so, they can be pretty reliable. Like my 88 for example. A member here previous to me bought it in AWFUL shape out in a field barely running as far as I know. He sank a lot into the major issues before making a trade with me. It's been pretty awesome for me, I've put about 6000 miles on it without any real trouble. I'm just trying to get it COSMETICALLY pretty now. Among plenty of little things. Still sinking hundreds into it but I'd hop in and drive to California right now if I needed to. Loving it.....

Yeah, it was in pretty poor condition and the guy was going to junk it if I didn't buy it. But after LOTS of love and time, it's made some pretty huge improvement. I drove it on average 100-150 miles daily in my ownership of it. These cars require a lot of attention, but in the end most of them are pretty reliable when they are cared for.

You're being too specific. It is common for GMs......and Fords......and Chryslers in general to have stupid problems all the time. When you build cars as cheaply as possible, those cars are going to be prone to problems. Hell, to a lesser, but more expensive extent, even Mercedes, Bimmers and Audis have their share or problems.

• 3 weeks later...

Well I sold it about a month or so ago and while I do not miss the constant problems and leaks, I do miss it's power.

My latest car is some 99 cougar with a 2.5, and unlike the GTP, I actually have to carefully calculate switching lanes and passing.

Realized that today, there was a traffic jam in the right lane and I wanted to move around it but some prick pulled out a couple cars behind me and I knew I could not get instantly up to speed to change lanes. As the cougar was trying with all it's might to accelerate, my only thought was, "The GTP would have rudely bulleted it's way around all this crap".

Well I sold it about a month or so ago and while I do not miss the constant problems and leaks, I do miss it's power.

My latest car is some 99 cougar with a 2.5, and unlike the GTP, I actually have to carefully calculate switching lanes and passing.

Realized that today, there was a traffic jam in the right lane and I wanted to move around it but some prick pulled out a couple cars behind me and I knew I could not get instantly up to speed to change lanes. As the cougar was trying with all it's might to accelerate, my only thought was, "The GTP would have rudely bulleted it's way around all this crap".

Power sure is great for situations like that. Sure miss my 04 GTP in that department, this 2.8 is just... depressingly slow. I couldn't even catch up to and pass a stupid bitch in a Toyota 4Runner that had STOPPED in front of me on an on ramp. How embarrassing.

Edited by Night Fury

Well, for the longest time i wanted OUT of the red nightmare. Problems I had were - RKE system failure, security system failure, radiator leaks, the distributor cap oil leak, FPR failed, brakes sucked, sunroof screwed up, window coming off track, erratic temp gauge even when radiator was full and bled, other oil leaks, both PS lines leaking at different times, front passenger strut making noise, etc

Anyways, the car was 18 years old and had 193K when I got it and 213K when the next person bought it.

When the return PS line started leaking and I basically had to rig in a new one, I called it quits with the damned thing.

I got a smaller car that the GTP would eat for breakfast so I do miss the performance.

Is it normal for GP to be constant stupid problems or was mine just too old?

That sucks for you! I went through soo much crap getting my '92 SE reliable again, I swore I wouldn't do it for the next car I owned.

Turned out my next car was an L67 powered 99 Sedan. It has some problems, but luckily doesn't manifest anything you're coming in to. I paid 1500 for mine, and the guy who I bought it from put in twice that within the last year and a half to get it built back up. That does leave me concerned about how much maintenance the car was skimped on. I have oil leaks to fight, the dread l67 BBQ is never far from my mind. Pillar pods that have lights but no gauge functionality, no chip key for a chip ignition, no keyfob... Lots of stuff to do, but I think it's safe to say I'm going to skate away much better than you did. My apologies for the headache you endured with this one, hopefully my acquisition of a 155k treats me better.