Strange Issue 92 GTP - Opinions?

chargerrich

So I am considering buying another GTP (92) to swap parts with my 91 and then maybe get the 92 running good for sale or as a DD.

But the car has two issues I was hoping to get some opinions on.

# 1 - The car starts great, idles like its new and runs great... until about 4000+ RPMs at which time is literally feels like a rev limiter/fuel cut off has engaged. Almost a total loss of power/bogging down but the car never stalls.

There are no codes but the check gauges light is on.

# 2 - The GTP is a 5 speed but most of the time when you try to down shift into first or second, it grinds like an SOB... Syncros going out?

Any feedback is appreciated. :thumbsup:

When it gets above 4000 rpm is it in park?

The check gauge light is almost all the time an issue with the cluster solder joints going bad and causing the light to come on all the time. It can be very easily fixed. I have done it.

It could have a automatic MEMCAL installed that would make it think it is in PARK and give you that 4k rpm limit or its a bad ICM

CHECK GAUGES lamp is likely just a cluster that needs resoldered

When you go to down shift, do you rev match it or just slam it into 1st or 2nd?

First thing I would look into would be fuel pressure. Put a gauge on the fuel rail and have someone rev it up and see what the gauge reads.

It could have a automatic MEMCAL installed that would make it think it is in PARK and give you that 4k rpm limit or its a bad ICM

CHECK GAUGES lamp is likely just a cluster that needs resoldered

the MEMCAL is the first thought i had.....

the second was that the tach was horribly incorrect, which considering the other cluster issues, is another place i would look at.