Whats the Value/Rarity of a 1991 GTP 5 speed?

chargerrich

I have an opportunity to take on a 1991 GTP with a 5 speed and 165k on the clock. The body is in good shape, interior average to good and it seems to run fine. I am thinking of this as a weekend driver/partial restoration project but have not had a GP in a number of years, so not sure on the value or rarity of the car.

Any feedback is appreciated as I look to re-enter the W-Body ranks!

Well, if it's in good running shape and doesn't have a lot of rust or major issues. Maybe 1000-1500. On the high end maybe 2000. They are pretty rare especially when it's a 5 speed car.

I paid 1k for mine with 113k and in pretty good shape. Needed an alternator job and a few minor things from sitting, but it is a 20 year old W body. if it runs and drives great, 2-2500. Needing work, 1500-2k IMO

If you are buying as an "investment" you are on drugs, only the most perfect near 0 mile examples only hope to go over 6,000.

Bottom line, sure its fairly rare, but it has miles and even if it low miles would be pretty nil... 1000-3000 tops and that is all depending on condition.

Well keep in mind that I am thinking about 10 years down the road. I have a stable of affordable cars to restore I "believe" will be valuable in 2020 and beyond. So far my list includes:

90 35th Anniversary Thunderbird SC

90 Indy Pace Car Beretta GTU

84 50th AE 300zx

93 Cougar XR-7 Supercharged

95 Impala SS

...and hopefully soon - 1991 Grand Prix GTP :D

eeeh we are just now getting to the point where third gen f bodys are getting to be worth anything. Buy it because its a cheap car that is a lot of fun to drive, and looks great, not because of possible future value.

Rare as hens teeth.

Value is whatever someone is willing to pay.

If I was in the market today, I would pay up to $5000 for a mint condition , low mile DOHC 5 spd W.

3-4 years ago, $2800 purchased me a 133,000 mile 5 spd Z34 from California, that looks like a 33,000 mile car.

I picked up the GTP this weekend and I will snap some picks this week.

Car went straight into my shop and so far, we have seen and done the following:

1. GTP had break in one side of exhaust, welded new pipe and put old muffler back on for the time being. Ordered set of flowmasters

2. Rear struts were TOAST, put a set of Moog's on it

3. One bad balljoint (pass), replaced

4. Pulled a total of 14 codes, ranging from O2, MAP, IAC, coolant sensors and ABS. Fixed all but ABS, need new wires (going to salvage yard this week)

5. Took wire brush to the underside for about 2 hours while it was on the lift and then sprayed it with black undercarriage rust inhibitor. looks great now!

6. Oil Change

7. Coolant Flush

Car still needs:

1. e-brake cable

2. AC is missing some hoses, may need to replace the whole thing, not sure yet

3. Hood has a ripped dent, its not horrible but trying to source a new one

4. All electronics work with exception of dome/map light. Havent looked into that yet.

5. Some nasty fog lights were installed by a third grader (square peg, round hole) - they work but going to fix it

6. Needs valence for underside

7. Need new tires/balance in a bad way. Car magically turns into a sherman tank at 60mph

Overall body is very straight, the Gertrag 5 speed is rock solid and the engine seems healthy, no leaks (was a rebuild) with all new seals.

I know I will have over 2k in it when done and maybe that is a bad investment, but I love the car. :P

Edited by chargerrich

LOL no offense meant :thumbsup:

But you are correct. I went to look at a parts car this weekend and they had the exact same lights... you have to admit though, they look odd to be kind.