need help, cars driving me nuts...

tabotan

I got one for ya, hopefully you can help. Ive got a 1995 monte carlo with the VATS. I lost the keys and my indicator switch was broken so my tail lights were not lighting up when i stepped on the break. my quick fix answer was to get a new steering column and install that to hopefully kill 2 birds with one stone. So I install the new steering column hook everything back up, put the new key in that came with the steering column. and to my surprise the car did not start. I was told that with the column i was supposed to be sold the computer that went with it. problem is i got it from a junkyard and this was months ago. is there anyway to get this car started or am I screwed?

the VATS computer isn't actually anywhere near the column.... it's actually right behind the glovebox.

since you don't have the original key, you can't do the simple multimeter trick of reading it and attaching a resistor in place, but if you do have a multimeter, you could buy a potentiometer and imitate various key codes(there are only 15 possible), and when you find one that works, either force the system into fail-enable mode or get a resistor to match the code or get a key cut that has the correct resistor pellet in it.

"you could buy a potentiometer and imitate various key codes(there are only 15 possible)" i have a multimeter accessible to me, but im not sure what the steps would be in using the potentiometer.

i would use a multi-turn potentiometer, but a potentiometer that will reach up to at least 12Kohms will reach all 15 key values.

basically, you'll wire the potentiometer between the two wires normally used for decoding the key pellet, then adjust the potentiometer to hit a target resistance, check to see if it's the one the VATS module wants to see. if it won't start, it's not the right one, turn the key off, adjust the pot, wait 3 minutes, then try again until you find your code.

if you're ever seen the official tool of doing this, it's called the "interrogator" and is WAY overpriced for what it is. instead of a potentiometer, it uses a bunch of resistors that are selected with a rotary switch so that you don't need a multimeter to check it constantly.

http://i.imgur.com/FxDp7.png

ok. just so im clear, i would hook up the potentiometer just as i would a resistor if i was going to do the resistor trick. then run through the codes turning the key at each code to see if it started.is that correct or am i at the wrong wires?

pretty much. it's a really simple operation so long as you know that the module will only let you test new codes once every 3 minutes and know what the codes are.

once it's running, let it keep going for a minute, then unplug the potentiometer, wait about another minute and the security light should come on, that's the module's way of indicating fail-enable mode, at which point you can shut the car off and it will stay in fail-enable until the two wires used for the key sensing are connected again.

awesome, thank you so much. im gonna give it my best shot and let everyone know how it turns out. im very greatful for the help. my friend was tellin me he heard through other mechanics how i would have to take it to a dealership and they would have to reset the computer to match the new key, and it all just sounded like a nightmare...

awesome, thank you so much. im gonna give it my best shot and let everyone know how it turns out. im very greatful for the help. my friend was tellin me he heard through other mechanics how i would have to take it to a dealership and they would have to reset the computer to match the new key, and it all just sounded like a nightmare...

If this doesn't work.

The best and cheapest labour to get this to work, are people who do auto-starter installations (mobile audio shops mainly). Phone around, and axe them pacific questions with regards to your car. Don't tell them it has VATS, just tell them it's a '95 Monte Carlo with a weird key and you need a bypass.

Most experienced guys will know and say, "oh yeah it's that VATS junk I've bypassed that many times," and if the guy is like: "I install auto-starting car warm up good." move along to the next guy till you find someone that you've comfortable with. Just my two cents, might save you a tow as well.

alright heres the news, i bought the potentiometer and cycled the keys and found my resistance. i got the car running, thank you RobertlSaar for your help. it greatly appreciated. lol i got another suprise that the turn signals aren't goin on, but they did back when we first changed the column. so im assuming i blew a fuse. so im just gonna check that and hopefully its not something thats gonna be too over the top. thank you once again for the knowledge.\

Good to know Robertisaar helped you out. And the turn signal issue is more than likely due to the quite common multifunction switch failure that plagues these cars.