2002 Pontiac Grand Prix - Shifter wiring harness replacement

Stevo

Hey,

Fix #8 of many - Shifter Wiring Harness

An example of such problem can be found here

I want to replace the whole harness and really I don't want to bother with the L Shaped Terminals. I already did last year when the park lock would not work. One of the wires broke so I am back to square one and I can no longer fix it again.

Can anyone point me in the right direction? I have checked on GMPartsdirect to see if the harness is available without any luck.

Thanks,

-Steve

I don't know if the whole thing is available new anymore. I bought one from the junkyard (complete from the shifter, all the way to the harness that runs under the carpet/passed the center console) because I didn't want to mess with soldering wires, or crimping new terminals either. Only thing that was a bit time consuming for me is I got a harness from a car without the heated seat option, so I had to switch several pin positions to get it to match up on all the different harnesses.

If you go under the steering wheel cover there is a solenoid that can also cause problems. I simply used a zip tie to hold the button up so I could get the key out. Granted it totally disabled the shift interlock but I'd rather get my keys out. Well I guess I should say I still had to push the brake down to pull it out of gear but I could remove the keys, thus shutting the car off, in any gear.

Did you check the solenoid in the column?

I rewired the molex at the shifter.

The thing is buggy as hell. I suspect the connection at the shifter. I went to a yard and all the GP's there had different harnesses from mine. One was even a Special Edition which really baffled me. There was an extra set of wires the left and rear of the shifter connection.

The solenoid periodically will disengage and let the key go but not all the time unless I rapidly tape the shifter's button.

Fek!

I really dont want to tear apart my column.

Just pull the shroud from the column. It's easy to do. I dont remember exactly how I did it (the car is now gone) but it is just that plastics piece. I a believe it made it a bit easier when I dropped the lower kick guard too.

After that you'll see a white solenoid near where the key goes in. I believe you can also simply unplug it and everything should work fine.

I think I fixed mine in about 15 minutes after suffering for about 3 years.

Pull the plastics piece on the column. I think it helped to drop the Lower kick guard. It's a bugger but it'll go.

After that is off you'll see a white solenoid near where the key goes in. You can either unplug it or zip tie the button up.

I think I had about 30 minutes in fixing it after suffering for about 3 years. Lol

• 1 month later...

The solenoid disengages 90+% of the time. The trick seems to be as I put it in park, I hold the shifter button and give it a click and the solenoid can be heard clicking in the column indicating it has released the key. I have not used the access hole to bypass this for the last month.

Thanks for the help, the next step is to get at the column solenoid in order to get the 100% operation that was intended.

The solenoid disengages 90+% of the time. The trick seems to be as I put it in park, I hold the shifter button and give it a click and the solenoid can be heard clicking in the column indicating it has released the key. I have not used the access hole to bypass this for the last month.

Thanks for the help, the next step is to get at the column solenoid in order to get the 100% operation that was intended.

Yeah I used this trick for awhile but after some time it did stop working.

To take off the steering column cover (the lower) its only 2 T25 torx screws, and it pops off and you can zip tie the solenoid, I did it in 20 minutes start to finish, it is worth it to never have to deal with not getting your key out of the ignition