Help with 01 Regal GS

Leadfoot

Ok, I stumbled upon an 2001 Regal GS with 38,xxx original miles. I am going to run look at it in a couple hours. I am not familiar with this particular drivetrain to know what to look for on them. Are there certain things I should look for in particular? Common problem areas?

I really didn't plan on buying a car, but 2 really clean low mile cars I have always liked have popped up in the last few days so I just want to make a good imformed decision.

I ran by on lunch and took a quick look. Typical old person car. Has some dings on the bumpers from bumping into the things. The paint needs polish bad. The RF power window won't roll back up. I believe that is a known common problem on these. I have not priced the parts out. It has a dent on the lf right behind the headlight where the bumper and fender come together. Its not bad. It BB's for aroun $6,500. they are asking $5,900. I am thinking I will offer $5,000 because of the little things wrong. I don't need the car, but it would be a nice DD.

Plus, my other option is a 1 owner low mile 96 Impala SS. That is weighing on my ming too.

Plus, my other option is a 1 owner low mile 96 Impala SS. That is weighing on my ming too.

Hah, WEIGHING on your mind, because it's a HUGE CAR :P. I'd take the regal for DD duty though if you're gonna buy anything. Dings are usually the worst thing going for old people cars, don't have to worry about things being improperly modified, etc.

A 1996 impala in IMO is the best year for that car and I've wanted one for quite some time.

Same here. That is why I am leaning towards the Impala SS. Plus he is willing to sell it to me for well under blue book. It's a long story. If it works out I will post more.

Well, the Impala was not as clean as I expected. I don't thinkthe guy was trying to lie, but I don't think he really knows cars and knew how to take care of it. I am going to go make an offer ont he Regal GS tonight. If that falls through I may make an offer on the SS. I just think the offer that would make it worth it for me would be insulting for him.

Went and looked at the Regal again last night. It has an oil leak. I am 95% certain it is the valve covers. Mostly the front. The rear could just be residue, but there was clearly oil leaking from the front one. It looks like a little bit of coolant was seaping from the passenger side of the intake manifold. It actually looked like it was coming from an elbow that comes out of the intake manifold and not actually a manifold gasket. I am not as familiar with these motors so anything is possible with that.

The A/C worked, but didn't seem really cold. The compressor sounded fine, but it still could have a leak. It has the climate adjustment from side to side. I would swear the passenger side seemed a little colder than the driver side even when set for them to be the same. This could just be the duct routing, but I am wondering if there is a blend door somewhere and if they are problematic. I am not sure how hard they are to replace. It could be my imagination about the variance from one side to another. It def was not getting as cold as it should though. While I would hope for a simple fix, I know my luck is that I should expect a leaking compressor.

I made an offer, they countered, etc. We got close on price, but just not enough. I am thinking I want to be ready if they call me back as they said they might depending on what happened. I am still looking so who knows what may happen today.

I am also going to call the guy with the Impala SS back today. He is real nice, but the car just wasn't what I expected based on the as. For the right price I would still buy it. It just needs more TLC than I expected. But when you get on the road it just floats so nicely and, when you punch it, it just goes. It is such a great car to drive. Not too mention it should hold its value better than most any car I am looking at just because of what it is.

How's the trans fluid look? Low mileage it shouldn't be a problem, but ya never know. The coolant elbows go bad all the time on 3800's, which looks to be the case with what you described.

Window motors are a common problem as well. Mine are getting tired in the back, but I never roll them down so I don't worry. I wouldn't bother checking the rear strut towers, 01+ w-bodies got better wheel well liners to prevent the rust. I'd still check anyway for S & G's.

More Regal stuff to take note. Clusters going out are a common problem, along with dash lights. Half of my radio preset lights are out, along with the center display with the mileage. They're easy fixes I guess, I just dread taking the dash apart :lol:

Oil pan gasket could be leaking too, unless you saw it was the valve covers. It obviously hadn't gotten it's recall taken care of. I might as well would do the LIM gasket too, older person owned and little mileage it probably hasn't had it done.

Any pics?

Well, I talked to a friend who works at a dealer. He ran the vin and the service history shows the recall was done back in 08. I guess the valve cover gasket needs to be done again and will be on whoever owns it. I was hoping it might be warranty or recall. Oh well. The oil pan could be leaking too. Hard to be certain, but it looked like it was mostly coming from the valve cover. I won't rule the oil pan out though.

The cluster seemed to work, but I honestly don't know about the dash / control lights. I have only looked at it during the day time.

Still haven't gotten to a deal. I am actually looking at some other cars. Who knows where this will all end up with. I did leave a message for the owner of the 96 SS. I have not heard back from him yet.