DIS install....

BrianK82

Got my junkyard score DIS installed in my Cutlass. All in all it wasn't too bad, just a lot of stuff to remove, and a lot of studying wiring diagrams. Everything works except the fuel mileage functions, which I would expect as the car is a 94'. I know Robert can fix that for me. My question is regarding the oil life monitor. How do I reset it? I press the reset button, and it beeps, but the display % does not reset to 100%. Is this something that will have to be programmed into the chip? Just curious, thanks!!

not that i have a DIS, but i would think to move it to the oil life setting, then hold down the reset button until it resets to 100%.

i'm fairly certain the oil life monitor uses the datastream as well.

Robert, I tried that. I put it on oil life, it says 65%. I press and hold the reset button, the DIS beeps once as soon as I hit the button, but it does not reset. I know the reset button works, because I can use it to reset the date/time, average speed, and ET and ETA/trip features.

I can't seem to recall the oil reset. If its not working then it must be something to due with the OBD 1.5.

Did you tap a wire into your ALDL cable?

Mine works and it's a 94 car, but Robert has "Tuned" the computer chip for me a while back.

I tapped into the tan wire at the HVAC controls for data. The coolant temp, and voltage displays are all correct, so I must conclude it needs to be programmed in somehow. I need one of those custom Robert Isaar tunes, lol.

I don't know what that wire does for the HVAC. I has no idea why it would supply serial data like the orange wire from the ALDL would. Maybe someone else does.

Everything should work on the DIS except for the fuel economy stuff. That will require a custom tune.

On the gauges button does the Tach fucion properly?

the DIS gets it's coolant temp value from the ECM datastream, so it sounds like the right wire was tapped into.

for a 94, alldata is showing a bunch of tan wires that run to the ALDL M pin: ABS Module, PCM, Airbag Module, and the C68 HVAC Module.

Robert, you're exactly right. I used the wiring diagrams from the factory service manual, and the tan wire is the data connection for pretty much everything. The tach display functions perfectly also.

interesting thing to note: the existing 94-95 LQ1 and 93-95 3100 code only broadcasts the MSB(most significant byte) of the accumulated fuel total, so while they are accurate down to 3.9mSec of injected fuel, that means their instant fuel usage isn't as exact as what the earlier DIS/DIC units can be. average fuel economy should be more or less uneffected though.

not that you would ever notice unless you used a 94-95 DIC back to back with a 88-93 DIC/DIS with both being in instant economy mode in an identical driving loop and recording both instances with a camera.... but it's just something odd i've ran across while hacking through the PCM.