new problems (92 3.1 Lumina), no headllights, hi or lo, and 2 loose connectors

Chris2012

I'm going to scope this out today, but it doesn't hurt to ask. Big 50 amp fuse is ok, I could not discern any other fuses associated w/the headlamps. Signals are fine. I think it's that goofy switch on the steering wheel. Given that's the case, has anyone substituted some kind of switch from radio shack? I'm not looking to be fancy. I don't want to hunt down a new switch then pull the steering wheel. I always have that option in the future, but I need my headlight back yesterday.

And 2 loose connectors found under the hood near the driver's side strut tower. 1 is similar to the one that plugs into the air cleaner. The other is more square and much smaller then the other. I couldn't find anyplace to plug these in.

Again w/regard to the headlights, if anyone has specific knowledge of the wiring paths in my car, I'd greatly appreciate a description. I _could_ always just run wires from the bulbs themselves to a switch inside that car, and then to the battry. Or would it make more sense to start cutting and splicing about the point where the wires go into the switch on the steering wheel. Halp!

Those wiring diagrams in the Haynes manual (from the mid 90s) are difficult to understand. I don't understand why the blinking auto industry just doesn't use *real* schematic diagrams. Butt nuggets LOL

Edited by Chris2012

.....And 2 loose connectors found under the hood near the driver's side strut tower. 1 is similar to the one that plugs into the air cleaner. The other is more square and much smaller then the other. I couldn't find anyplace to plug these in......

I think the first connector you reference may go to the underhood light (if you have one).

The other one; is it a single wire (maybe red?) or is the connector red? I have this loose wire as well. I think I read someplace that it's there as a fuel pump test connector.

Posting a few photos will be helpful.

I think the first connector you reference may go to the underhood light (if you have one).

The other one; is it a single wire (maybe red?) or is the connector red? I have this loose wire as well. I think I read someplace that it's there as a fuel pump test connector.

Posting a few photos will be helpful.

Yes, it was my assumption that the double connector was for the hood lamp. I lost my bulb a while ago. I had thought I checked if there was any voltage coming out of that connector, and there was none. Oh well.

The other is likely a diagnostic connection, as you stated, I guess.

headlights still don't work.

single red wire(into i think a grey connector) is the fuel pump test/prime circuit.

if it is the light connector, the length of the harness and where it comes out from will be the big clue for it.

to figure out why the headlights aren't working, you're going to need to start at the beginning of the circuit and work your way down to find where the voltage stops. could do it with either a test light or a multimeter.

assuming you don't have daytime running lights, this is the diagram you'll need.

http://i.imgur.com/5Or2j.png