Buick ultra l67 into lumina ltz ??s

J_lando1220

Well I am new to the forums but have been researching on doing the l67 swap. I have a 99 lumina ltz that has a NA 3800 that spun a bearing and I would like to put the sc3800 in my 97 park ave ultra in there. I've read that the wiring harness on the lumina is plug in ready for the sc3800 and I plan to keep the stock 4t65e in the lumina. Since the park ave isn't a w body 3800 not to mention its a 97 and everyone says to use 98 and up, what kind of issues might I run into and is it even worth using the ultra engine? Any points in the right direction are greatly appreciated!

That is realitively easy swap from what I understand. From Miltzy Motorsports and others i've been learning from others as well as my limited experience.

Need to use the 4T65 HD from the Ultra.

Will need to have hybrid axle for left side.

Swap the oil pan from Wbody onto the H L67,

Miltzy makes Wire harness Adaptor.

A/C Brackets will need to be swapped W body is different size from H Body.

Fuel Lines will need to be adapted.

I think that is generally the basics.

Ok great I don't mind swapping the brackets, etc. what's the difference between the 4t65 hd and non hd? The hd trans In the Buick is fried (typical 3/4 clutches) so was hoping to just use the non hd to get by for now while working out the bugs after the swap. Thanks!

Non-HD trans will not hold up to well against an L67, even for a short amount of time unless don't even think about going near boost.

Ok I'll have to get the hd rebuilt but just use the non and be good to it for now,, or see how much I can give it before it snaps... Not planning on doing anything past the stock l67 for right now so it might hold out for awhile. It's a 4 door so it should be a good sleeper/ grocery getter.

The only difference in the HD and non HD trans is the gearing and the differential, you can swap the differentials but makes sure the drivers side axle is out or you can damage some internals.. The nin HD trans has 3.29 gears and the HD trans will have 2.89s which rev lower on the highway and are generally more spread out (redlines at 52 instead of 42 which the non HD trans will do) I am currently running a 3.29 gear non HD trans with the HD differential swapped in with a few engine mods with no problems

The only difference in the HD and non HD trans is the gearing and the differential, you can swap the differentials but makes sure the drivers side axle is out or you can damage some internals.. The nin HD trans has 3.29 gears and the HD trans will have 2.89s which rev lower on the highway and are generally more spread out (redlines at 52 instead of 42 which the non HD trans will do) I am currently running a 3.29 gear non HD trans with the HD differential swapped in with a few engine mods with no problems

Ok good to know I wont burn the non hd up right away, I thought maybe the hd had a stronger sun shell or something. So what is the gain on switching to the hd differential vs the non? I don't mind the 3.29 just means more takeoff and a few less mpg's..

they are the same transmission inside (clutch packs etc) they have a different stall speed (not by much) And they have a diffrent diffrental. And to be honest. if its stock 3800 i would not waist the time throwing HD parts in the 65... unless u wanna mod. 1,000's of top swapped people do it and have NO probems with the Non hd parts, Its just like the 65-hd your going to burn the clutch packs out of it. And the HD parts are not going to help you there.

Edited by White93z34

Ok guys, be a *little* more civil and respectful.

That said. I am running a transmission that is in no way shape or form HD... 1997 4t60-e that used to live behind a L36. 30,000+ miles into a L67 swap its doing just fine.

ok going from a 3800 na to 3800 sc from 97...

1)pcm. you need to decide how you are going to run the swap. some people have a l36 program tuned to run boost or a l67 tuned for the 4t65e trans.

-if you use l36 code you need to swap spark, fuel tables, and install a l67 MAP sensor and swap its connector on the harness

-if you swap to l67 code you need to install a wire in the harness for the bbv solonoide and have to run a l67 MAP and swap its connector

2)fuel lines. some say you can rotate the l36 fuel lines and get them to work on the l67 fuel rail. but i heard this greatly increases the chance of fuel leaking and having the classic l67 fire. I am planing on buying AN fittings and building new lines. the pic below is a cart full of the pieces i will get from summit racing to do the lines.

3)engine mounts. going from an H body to W body will require different engine mounts. the lower mounts from your l36 will work fine, but the passenger side mount wont work. you will need a l67 w body mount.

4) oil pan. i don't know for sure if the H body pan will work. but if it doesn't just use the pan off of your l36. it should fit.

5) trans. I for one do not agree with needing to swap to the HD trans. i actually prefer the gear ratio on the non hd. and if you really want the hd diff then upgrade it later. you also don't hear about people toasting their diff on either of these trans. so i don't think it is a concern.

the differences between the 97 l67 and 98+ are:

1)the vacuum line routing is different

2) the m90 has an additional vacuum tree near the BBV

3) i heard that the first m90's were hand matched to the rotor pack when built.

post-1829-143689111823_thumb.jpg

I've been using L36 lines on my swap for a few years, no problem. does not look pretty, but is functional. no leaks either. However I will be swapping on the proper lines on sooner then later, already have them just need to put them on.

Thanks everyone for all the great input! Thinkin I'll stick with the non hd setup for now since it has 200k on it anyways so when it blows apart I'll hopefully have more funds to build something decent. I have one of those dorman fuel line maker kits so I'm hoping some Of those fittings will get me extended where needed. As far as the PCM code: I don't know a whole lot as far as recoding/flashing goes, are you Saying I should use the PCM from the Buick since the l67 is coming from there or keep the lumina and flash it to recognize new values associated with the l67? Splicing in for the solenoid I can do, as well as change the map plug if necessary (I assume you mean cut it off the donor car and splice it into the original l36 map wiring). Maybe I should just do the swap into my 02' lesabre that's already an h body which would be a cake walk right? ;)