So, my Lumina has finally bit the dust. Part out or sell?

ptcfast2

I'm trying to figure out what the best way to take care of my Lumina is. It has developed a coolant leak somewhere in the read of the engine - driver side. I don't have the energy, time or equipment to maintain her anymore as I now live in an apartment complex on my own and need a reliable daily driver.

The car itself has 250,000 miles on it. The transmission has about 35k and the engine has about 30k on it. Everything on the car has pretty much been replaced at this point over the past 3 years - the car was my way of understanding cars and how to repair them. I also kept all receipts for equipment/parts I've installed myself or had someone else install.

I'm assuming I can find a buyer as the engine and tranny are pretty much new and she would have a ton of life left in her if someone wanted to tear down the engine and figure out what gasket has decided to call it kaput. I can also part it out I guess, but it's more of a hassle.

Any ideas or suggestions?

Edited by ptcfast2

I wish it was a hose, but all hoses that involve the cooling system are fine. Only ones that are around the general where the leak seems to be coming from would be the heater hoses, but they don't have any holes and aren't wet indicating a leak.

sounds like a leaking waterpump. may as well diagnose the leak, if its a water pump they are like $20 and take a half hour to swap out. else-wise figure out what it is and see how much to fix it. fix (provided its cheap enough) and sell the car on craigslist. Probably get $1000 or so from it if its decent running and driving.

sounds like a leaking waterpump. may as well diagnose the leak, if its a water pump they are like $20 and take a half hour to swap out. else-wise figure out what it is and see how much to fix it. fix (provided its cheap enough) and sell the car on craigslist. Probably get $1000 or so from it if its decent running and driving.

Water pump is on front passenger side of engine and it would be easy to see if it was leaking. Leak in on rear driver side. Don't see how in any way it could be the water pump... I mean I can keep it around and attempt to figure out where the leak is in my spare time/repair it and then sell it. Just don't know how long that would take...nor do I honestly have the location to do it at now. :lol:

I'd jack it up and see if you can find where the leak is coming from.. I suppose it's even possible that one of the heater hoses has developed a pinhole leak under pressure and is spraying out...