94 CS 3100 stalls - no fuel? 1/4 left in tank

DavidHowell3633

I went to start the car one morning and it would not start. Fuel pressure gauge read no pressure. Gas gauge read 1/4 of a tank. I figured it was time to change out the fuel pump since I had already bought an ACDelco unit. After replacing the pump, I still had no fuel pressure. I changed the fp relay, I changed the oil pressure switch which was oily, I repaired some wiring issues, I pulled the fuel pump and replaced the pulsator with the hose, I replaced the NSS, some more things that shouldn't really matter like the ICM, ECM, IAC. Finally, I disconnected the fuel lines and flushed them and the car started. A month later the car stalls every 3 miles and starts right back up. I get it home and replaced the TPS, I replaced the 24X crank sensor, MAP sensor, I cleaned the EGR passage, throttle plate. I checked the plugs and the ACDelco's are still fine. I noticed the fuel pressure would drop from around 43 psi and stall. Power to the fuel pump remained constant. I added more fuel and more fuel and the thing started and runs - no problem.

So basically, if I let the car get down to a quarter of a tank, it starves for fuel. Something Sling Blade would have known all along. The last tme it was stalling, I pulled into Shell and filled up. It took 12.2 gallons. What does it hold, like 16 gallons? Any idea why I seem to be starving for gas when I have over 3 gallons of fuel?

tank holds between 16.5 and 17.7, depending on what GM documentation you look at.

not that it should cause stalling only with a low fuel level, but the inline fuel filter?

and did you replace the "sock" that goes around the fuel pump and acts as a filter?

I was confused as hell when mine did that too. I always thought I could nail down the reason why it stalled. it went on like that for a couple years. what I can tell you is that the pump is cooled by gas, and heated up by electrical resistance and low voltage. the problem is made worse in the summer months when the rad fan comes on more often.

I suppose it is good knowing that someone else has encountered the same problem and I am not crazy. At least not crazy about this issue. Thanks for your reply.