3100 V6 tach wire

3.1 95' Lumina

Hello guys,

Im trying to install a Sunpro II tach into my Lumina. My problem i have been running into for the past couple months has been where to hook up the signal wire for the tach. I have tried multiple wires on the negative side of the coils and ive had no luck. Ive called the dealer and they have "deleted everything from the old cars in their system" and will not let a tech tell me anything. Im now stuck on where to find the wire but in the dash itself. My last resort is going to a junkyard and pulling the non-tach cluster and a tach cluster and comparing the connectors to see which pins are existent on the tach and non existent in the non tach. I guess my question to you guys is does anyone know where the tach wire is on a 3100 inside the dash itself. Any help would be greatly appreciated. :dance:

Specifically with a 1.5 gen Lumina, the base vs the LS cluster the harnesses are pinned the same. An LS cluster will plug and play with a car with a base cluster. Done this in 2 of my Luminas to gain a tach. I'm sure someone will chime in which wire it is, but I'd personally hit the JY, grab an LS cluster (since yours is a 95, it needs to be a 95-96 cluster, 97+ the fuel gauges are different and will not work!) and be done with it. If you take the cluster apart, you can also swap over the odometers if that matters to you (which I did).

Thanks for your input, push comes to shove ill go out and compare base clusters vs the LS clusters for the missing pin and see if i can eliminate pins and narrow down my troubleshooting. Ill give it a couple days to see if anyone else knows more on this subject, but if not i will use your advice and get back to you on it!:thumbsup:

I think the car is already wired, you just need to install a tach cluster. i do think that the monte carlos were more likely to have a tach factory and they are the same part. forget the aftermarket stuff.

I was not aware of that! This makes me feel better about my chances of installing a tach into my car. By any chance, (and im sure its a shot in the dark) does anyone know what pin on the connector supplies the tach signal to the cluster? My intention is to splice into the tach wire on the connector and install my aftermarket tach signal wire to it. If nobody knows pin specific, i will find out and reply back on here. I havent put much help on this forum and i would like to make my input as much as possible :biggrin:

You are a saint! Thats exactly what im looking for! :D Is there a way you can insert a picture of your diagram for me so i have a reference to go by??

true. and without the remote trunk release and cargo net and a bunch of other seemingly standard options...... it's like i have a fleet car or something.

apparently the electric rear defogger was optional as well, though i can't say i've seen one without it.

Why do you need a tach if you have an auto trans?

Another thing to look at on the dash? :shrug:

I like knowing as much information about my vehicle as I can. I like knowing what my engine is doing.

Thank you guys soooo much! I have hooked up my tachometer in my car and it works!! I really appreciate all the help you guys have given me and I will post pics soon of the pillar pods I have made using a pringles can and some PVC pipe (tell me thats not random but damned if it works).