Coolant leak, AGAIN!!!!!???

Oilpatch197

OK, now let me tell the story:

I was loosing coolant, thought my radiator was cracked(I hit a doe a while back and took out my grille) but I could NOT locate the leak, every time I stopped the engine it would jizz out 4-6 ounces of coolant, it was basically relieving pressure. Finally the drain plug blew out, I had thought I overtightened or stripped out the threads of the plug. Checked the radiator no cracks detected, it flowed good and I replaced the drain plug with a new plug assembly.

OK so end of story, right? NO! It's still jizzing out! It only leaks out when I stop the engine when I park my car, and then it spews out.... It does this every once in a while, IT IS NOT CONSISTENT.

So, WHAT DO I DO NOW? When you shut off your engine, the pressure naturally increases in your cooling system, but why is my NEW drain plug releasing the pressure instead of my radiator cap?

All I can think of is perhaps my radiator cap is defective? Not allowing coolant to flow into the reservoir, it does a good job of sucking the reservoir dry!

I don't think a blown or leaky head gasket can do this?

I am truly stumped! Where to go from here?

check for a crack in the radiator tank directly forward/opposite of the return from engine inlet. You should be able to tip the radiator back and inspect it with ease without removing it from the car. that is highly likely to be the area of a failure as that's where the hot returning coolant first strikes the plastic end tank.

check for a crack in the radiator tank directly forward/opposite of the return from engine inlet. You should be able to tip the radiator back and inspect it with ease without removing it from the car.

I'd be looking for a crack in the tank where the draincock screws in...and TEST the rad cap.

Same thing happened on my 95 vert. It was the intake manifold gasket.

My 94 vert has had both a leaky intake manifold gasket and plastic radiator tank crack.

I'd replace the radiator cap, too...sounds to me like it's overpressurizing the system.

Ok, A leak in a plastic tank pretty much means a replacement radiator is called for.

I'm just going to replace it.

I'd replace the radiator cap, too...sounds to me like it's overpressurizing the system.

It was the radiator, it was not actually cracked but it leaked when you put 15 p.s.i. on the system, it leaked where the plastic bonds with the aluminum fins at the bottom by the drain plug.

Anyhow got the system flushed out, the hoses all looked good, and Autozone gave me the wrong radiator(which was $30 dollars cheaper) and did a price over-ride.! The one I was supposed to get was around $150.

I got $3 for the old radiator in scrap. :lol: