How to find which shift my car was built

Steve

So it would be on the build sheet?

The reason I'm asking this is I worked at the Van Nuys plant from 74-78 & I'm thinking of trying to get a Camaro or a Firebird that I actually worked on. The Camaro's I know which one's I've worked on because I added a little something to them but the Firebirds I did not, we also ran the Nova's & Tempest at that time. I know this is not a W body question but the people on this forum know their stuff!

i THINK the build sheets would have that info, it's been a while since i've looked at one though.

care to explain what you added to the camaros?

I believe lots of parts are stamped with the shift/day of the year/year they were built on but those would have been pre-assembled parts that the line workers would install. short of finding the build sheet or other line documentation that usually was tossed in the trash at the end of the line I'd say it would be near impossible.

Thanks Guys, that's what I thought sometimes if your lucky the build sheet can be stuffed under the front fender or in the door cavity. Sometimes all kinds of stuff is in the door cavity, the build sheet would fall off & the door was a perfect spot to stuff it for the next station. I worked on the Fisher body side of the plant did bumper filler wheel weld moulding, radio brace, dash adjust & 78's side window install drivers side. Even though they were all built in the same plant for me anyways the Firebird was easier to work on the Camaro was a pain. In order to get the dash to fit close to the body there is two small screws right in front of the instrument cluster, you have to lay on your back to see them. (two holes underside upper dash) I would push the front of the dash toward the body & shoot two small BLACK screws into two small tabs, the screws we're to small & 90% of the time they would strip so it made my job way harder. The guy in the next station used a fatter silver screw for his job & I found they worked waaaaay better on mine (No more stripping!)

tried to get the boss to change them but he said it would cost to much $$ so I would sneek some from the guy next to me & would hide them from the night shift, the line at that time was running 1 car every 58sec so anything that would make my life easier & a better product was a ++++. So if you have a 74-78 Camaro with those silver screws I worked on that car. I've found two that I worked on so far.

I've found build sheets in seat springs (front or rear), under carpet, stuffed in the dash, under the package shelf, on top of the gas tank.

I never cared for the 74-77 Camaro's due to that big 5mph bumper, but the 78 & the Firebird's looked good. We we're pumping out tons of the black FB's due to the release of Smoky & the Bandit. That's why I need to find one with a build sheet to prove I worked on it.

If you find a Trans Am, see if it has the Pontiac Historical Services documents, that will say. The PHS documents are expensive though.

Manic

That would be cool if it was, you'll probably need a light to see up in the hole but if it's mine it should show up better. Thanks for the info on the historical services.