Radiator drain cock failure!

Oilpatch197

So I had this mystery coolant leak, I'd park to fill with gas. When I come out the car had pissed a puddle under the drain cock.

BUT IT WAS NOT CONSISTANT!!:shrug:

It would leak, one time and be good for two weeks! Even with Bar's leak.

Then my time ran out, I kept searching for this leak(I've hit a deer and wondered if my rad wasn't cracked)

So last Saturday night I was going to Wal-Mart, and the overpass before the exit, my plug just went bye bye!

But I didn't notice this until I parked my car and looked at the temp gauge!:mad:

So it would appear that my plastic threads failed, it's a two piece unit, it has that nut that clicks into the radiator, then the actual plug that threads into it.

The plug was gone, had to attempt to remove that nut... it fell INTO the radiator, no way to get it out now.

A Autozone $3 part was what I needed, but it cost me over $240 (tow, oil change, coolant etc)

Has anyone heard of these drain plugs blowing out?

yes, I think that's what happened to the radiator in the vert I sold BXX, and the ciera had the same issue, as well as a few old radiators I inspected in a junk pile, from which i grabbed a spare good used insert... as for removing an insert, it comes out with a pair of pliers..

I did not research new replacement parts, but are you saying that they do sell the snap in insert? If so, part numbers would be very helpful.

yes, I think that's what happened to the radiator in the vert I sold BXX, and the ciera had the same issue, as well as a few old radiators I inspected in a junk pile, from which i grabbed a spare good used insert... as for removing an insert, it comes out with a pair of pliers..

I did not research new replacement parts, but are you saying that they do sell the snap in insert? If so, part numbers would be very helpful.

Motormite/Radiator Drain Plug

Part Number: 61109

Notes: Dorman - HELP! - (Carded) at AutoZone.

It's listed up on RockAuto as well; Dorman part # 490232 and ACDelco part # 3056858. This was for a '93 3.1l GP.

I haven't replaced mine yet, but I should. It's leaking on me enough to start popping the low coolant light...