Oops

jake91

I broke it at the track last night had to tow it 80 miles home at 4 am

a61c1def.jpg

It just blew up a coolant elbow so nothing too bad

I ran a 15.8 in 105* weather

Then it broke when I went for one more at 2 am when it was only 85* out and I got a 15.4 but the 60ft sucked with a 2.6

No Pb tonight. Well I did get a PB on breaking something lol

I blew one of those last year. Stranded 100mi from home on a Sunday night. I happened to have a new coolant elbow set and my tools in the back. Changed it out in a Wal-Mart parking lot in about 3 hrs, then back on the road.:showoff:

Cheap plastic coolant elbows, one of the 3800's achilles heels.

Achilles heel alright these were 3500 miles old lol

Luckily roadside got it halfway home for me for $20 then a good friend of mine got his trailer and we got it home the next morning so I only am out $30 in towing and hopefully delco will warenty these elbows

Well, if they don't warranty the elbow(s) you're only out, what, $5?? Now if the warranty covers the labor to replace them, that would be a different story.

Gm ones are $25 I think either way even if the labor is warranties I can still do it myself cheaper than the tow bill to my mechanic

They never made a replacement metal one for the Series II? My 93 Park Ave with the 3800 Series I S/C motor had the same problem. Luckily it happened pulling into my driveway. When I went to the dealership to get a new one it was solid metal. I think it cost $20.

Didn't GM finally fix this problem with aluminum elbows integrated into the alt bracket on 04+? If so, could one of those be swapped over to a 97-03?

No, they never fixed it. The 04+ GPs still have the stupid ass plastic elbows. I had one fail on me after 2 months of being on the car... driving down the highway at 65, it decided to snap in half and dump nearly all the coolant out. Fortunately, I was at the end of my 150 mile trip and only 2 miles away from my work (where all my tools live) and I limped it there and replaced them in the parking lot. It would be REALLY nice if someone would make them out of metal so this wouldn't happen ever again. I'd like to not have my engine grenade from these failing.

Someone made a set out of metal. Only problem is they wanted like $100 for them and takes forever and a day to get them made up.

Sorry to hear about it blowing out on you man. Were you out at Speedworld?

What? Almost $20 for GM coolant elbows? Why not get the Dorman/ HELP! brand one's from the parts store from half the price. Exact same quality as I'm pretty sure they're the ones whom make them anyway.

Someone made a set out of metal. Only problem is they wanted like $100 for them and takes forever and a day to get them made up.

Sorry to hear about it blowing out on you man. Were you out at Speedworld?

I'd gladly pay that for a set of them, knowing they would never break and strand me again.

x2 i would also

well just finished buttoning up replacing them all is good now replaced with genuine gm parts

i have pics of the broken one i found out my mechanic replaced the front one with a Help brand one (the one that broke) and left the factory rear one

c6f40e8e.jpg

f79759c5.jpg

7ead7ac3.jpg

The HELP brand ones aren't any different than the GM ones, unfortunately. I have a set of HELP ones in my 04 GP with ~5k on them now.

Yours looks extremely warped, he probably didn't have it seated all the way. You have to be very careful installing them and wiggle it until it is fully seated into both coolant ports. If it is not in there squarely, it will warp and eventually break.

Edited by Addicted To Boost

how the heck did it get that shape? I've run those Help! Brand ones for years and thousands of miles never seen that happen.