ECM swap?

Silentkillzr

literally nothing is effected by the VIN.

i can change the VIN in mine to a 17 character message if i wanted to, still doesn't effect anything.

exactly there should be no vin needed.

The only thing is if you put a used from a donor in it should be as close as possible to the vehicle. same drivetrain and very close to the year

find one from any 94-95 3100 W-body and it will work. preferably, get the latest calibration you can find as well. the 93 3100 PCM will drop in as well, but things are a bit different...

Since we are on ecm Swap subject. I am going to swap out manual 282 in place of a automatic. Can the pcm be reprogrammed or would it have to be replaced. ?

both the 93-95 3100 and 94-95 LQ1 PCMs have an option in them for running a manual transmission....

that being said, with no factory calibrations(that were released to the public) that are setup for it, you would probably be spending quite some time tweaking it to be just right.

literally nothing is effected by the VIN.

i can change the VIN in mine to a 17 character message if i wanted to, still doesn't effect anything.

Yes and no. :)

It depends on if it's an OBD-II car, and if the State/County do smog testing on OBD-II cars.

Some States will test only 96+ cars as OBD-II. Some will test if the car/engine came with OBD-II (some started in 94).

If the smog does an OBD-II check, it's very likely that the VIN, calibration, year, etc, etc all have to match exactly. Otherwise, it's an invalid smog-related mod from the State and Federal point of view.

Also, in general, some cars/engines require ECM learning cycles for different things. Some learning cycles may be done automatically, or can be started manually, some require a bi-directional controller. Examples of common relearn cycles are: the CPS is common, so is any anti-theft, so are so,me "special functions" like the steering wheel position for the stability control system, etc.

this is about the 95 3100 PCM, OBD1.

the VIN in these is stored in one of the two 68HC11F1 processors and is only read out upon a mode 1, message 4 request to the T-side processor.

• 1 month later...

Okay what i was most concerned about in my question here was VATS, My car wont start if the ecm is changed will it?, or will that not effect vats?

Vats control Box is under the passenger side dash, By the airbag, mounted on the re-inforcment bar.. let me try and find a pic..

S6301097.jpg

Top right By where the air-bag would be. I know this is the v-tas because i forgot to plug it back in when i did my wiring harness swap for hud and dic... :lol:

Okay what i was most concerned about in my question here was VATS, My car wont start if the ecm is changed will it?, or will that not effect vats?

VATS does not care about VINs. in fact, it has no way of determining what the VIN is that's stored in the PCM since it doesn't communicate at all, it only acts based on inputs.

• 2 weeks later...

find one that has a 94-95 W-body calibration(preferably the latest one possible), there are others that will plug in and work, but you'll have some interesting issues pop up.

i usually see them sell between $20 and $50.